[kictanet] Day 1 of 10 :-BPO discussions, Policy Framework

Prof Waema waema at uonbi.ac.ke
Tue Jun 2 10:56:21 EAT 2009

Hi Muriuki,

Thank you for the comments. There is no complete report at the moment but it is under preparation. The idea is to share the results so far and discuss salient issues before we have a stakeholders workshop later on this month. However, find below some background info:

The overall aim of the project was “to undertake comprehensive research in the business process outsourcing (BPO) sub-sector in pioneer, emerging and mature markets to provide evidence and a deeper understanding of the imperatives for success in this industry to better inform Kenya’s policy decisions and investment choices”. The specific objectives were:
	To provide empirical evidence and recommendations to inform the development of BPO legislation, policy and strategy
	To identify the critical success factors that underlie the BPO industry in developing countries (in pioneer, emerging and mature markets)
	To examine and provide comprehensive case studies of eight countries representing pioneer, emerging and mature BPO markets
	To analyse the business environment/culture in Kenya in order to identify a unique BPO marketing strategy.
	To provide a deeper understanding of youth employment and gender issues within the BPO sector in pioneer, emerging and mature markets
	To increase the level of awareness and input among key stakeholders through interactive dialogue on key BPO issues within the Kenyan context
	To contribute to knowledge in this emerging sector through publication and dissemination.

The project was carried out using the case study method and involved desk research on the Internet and in libraries, review of existing documents, key informant interviews and structured questionnaires. The case study involved BPO firms and relevant national institutions in six countries classified as follows:
	BPO clients: U.S.A. and U.K.
	Pioneer BPO services: Kenya
	Emerging BPO services: South Africa
	Mature BPO Services: India and Mauritius

The project is funded by IDRC and the University of Nairobi. It was carried out by the University of Nairobi in collaboration with the Ministry of Information and Communications, the Kenya BPO and Contact Centre Society, the Kenya ICT Board and KICTANET.

I am sure you can commend on the policy framework without a full report.

Regards

Tim Waema