[kictanet] Day 1 of 10 :-BPO discussions, Policy Framework

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 11:48:17 EAT 2009

Walu i appreate the strides we have made so far with inputs from the BPO and
Contact centre society as well as other scholars on and off this list. My
take is that you cannot separate growth of the ICT sector and evolution of
Policy. This is due to the Dynamic nature of ICT for instance at some point
everyone will be on fibre some other point VSAT, or wi-max resources that
have to be regulated to enhance competititveness and trust (i beleive this
encompasses privacy) This calls for a multipronged strategy that ensures
that the policy environment is in tandem with technological change, at the
same time there must be a clear strategy that will ensure that there is
adequate human resource to enable us capitalize on emerging opportunities
within and outside the country. To summarise emphasis at national level
should be on the ICT sector creating a conducive environment in terms of
Infrastructure, Policy and the requisite human resource, whereas the BPO
sector could be guided by a clear Mission Vision and Strategy that will help
the sector attain its targets as far as GDP is concernened.
(Sorry my economics is poor)

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Prof Waema <waema at uonbi.ac.ke> wrote:

> Hi Muriuki,
>
> Thank you for the comments. There is no complete report at the moment but
> it is under preparation. The idea is to share the results so far and discuss
> salient issues before we have a stakeholders workshop later on this month.
> However, find below some background info:
>
> The overall aim of the project was ¡§to undertake comprehensive research in
> the business process outsourcing (BPO) sub-sector in pioneer, emerging and
> mature markets to provide evidence and a deeper understanding of the
> imperatives for success in this industry to better inform Kenya¡¦s policy
> decisions and investment choices¡¨. The specific objectives were:
> Ć       To provide empirical evidence and recommendations to inform the
> development of BPO legislation, policy and strategy
> Ć       To identify the critical success factors that underlie the BPO
> industry in developing countries (in pioneer, emerging and mature markets)
> Ć       To examine and provide comprehensive case studies of eight
> countries representing pioneer, emerging and mature BPO markets
> Ć       To analyse the business environment/culture in Kenya in order to
> identify a unique BPO marketing strategy.
> Ć       To provide a deeper understanding of youth employment and gender
> issues within the BPO sector in pioneer, emerging and mature markets
> Ć       To increase the level of awareness and input among key stakeholders
> through interactive dialogue on key BPO issues within the Kenyan context
> Ć       To contribute to knowledge in this emerging sector through
> publication and dissemination.
>
> The project was carried out using the case study method and involved desk
> research on the Internet and in libraries, review of existing documents, key
> informant interviews and structured questionnaires. The case study involved
> BPO firms and relevant national institutions in six countries classified as
> follows:
> Ć       BPO clients: U.S.A. and U.K.
> Ć       Pioneer BPO services: Kenya
> Ć       Emerging BPO services: South Africa
> Ć       Mature BPO Services: India and Mauritius
>
> The project is funded by IDRC and the University of Nairobi. It was carried
> out by the University of Nairobi in collaboration with the Ministry of
> Information and Communications, the Kenya BPO and Contact Centre Society,
> the Kenya ICT Board and KICTANET.
>
> I am sure you can commend on the policy framework without a full report.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim Waema

Barrack O. Otieno
ISSEN CONSULTING
Tel:
+254721325277
+254733206359
http://projectdiscovery.or.ke
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa