[kictanet] IS THE SAFARICOM NETWORK BECOMING OBSOLETE

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 13:43:16 EAT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:51 AM, muthoni <muthoni at uonbi.ac.ke> wrote:

>  Alex,
>
> This sound just too familiar to me! I had a similar experience last week on
> Friday.  I had enough money on my Safaricom line; I used it to connect to
> the Internet (from my computer via blue tooth) to download my email to
> Outlook.  After disconnecting, I still had over KES 100 worth of credit but
> I could not even send a text message.  I kept receiving ‘… you have
> insufficient…’ message.  I was forced to purchase more airtime in order to
> continue using my phone.
>
> I indeed confirm that THERE IS A PROBLEM!

Indeed,  back in October, I put 500 bob on my phone in order to get the 100
MB as advertised in the flyer that Safcom has been handing out. I sent an
SMS "activate" to 443, I got a confirmation message, but when I used Gmail
and other net services, it ate the subsequent topups, and not the 100MB.  I
went to Safcom at Westgate (very helpful folks BTW, the best informed shop
in the network IMO).  They promised someone would get back to me.  No love.
I went back again left my number as the guy who had previously helped me was
busy. I did get a follow up call, which was promptly dropped by the network.

Perhaps the issue is that this package isn't meant for phones, but for USB
modems?  If not, how does one get a "Safaricom Broadband" icon on your phone
so that one can follow the instructions on the flyer?

--
Cheers,

McTim