[kictanet] Not all news from Kibera is bad news..KPLC and Kengen

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 10:27:43 EAT 2009

Zac,

"In Kenya, the project couldn’t have come at a better time. Over 70 percent
of Kenya's population is not connected to the grid and relies mainly on
biomass, kerosene and disposable batteries for light. There are already some
solar lamps available, but most of the products are too expensive, of poor
quality or not adapted to the Kenyan needs. It is against this background
that the project partners designed a solar lamp which can be used as a
flashlight (for outdoor toilets, guards) or to light rooms if suspended. The
lamp with LED, integrated solar panel and rechargeable batteries is simple
and easy to repair."

 Its really unfortunate that we have set our eyes on Vision 2030 yet energy
which is an important component in any growing economy is still a challenge,
me thinks it has come a time when we must DEMAND service from Kengen and
KPLC , we cannot entertain mediocrity and impunity yet the companies are
posting ridiculous profits, we literally beg for power yet we pay dearly for
it.  I am not in any way belittling such noble efforts, the question is can
they take us to the promised land?

I await your answer Zac

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Zachary Ochieng <zzachmbir at yahoo.com>wrote:

> "No Raila, no railway". "No Migingo, no railway". "Rudisha Migingo ama
> tungoe reli". These are the common 'rallying calls' in Kibera. However, a
> group of young men and women is now changing that. Read this:
>

> http://www.cio.co.ke/index.php/view-all-main-stories/445-youths-on-a-mission-to-light-up-kibera-slums-using-solar-power-.html
>

> Zachary.
>  --- Be the change you want to see in the world.

Barrack O. Otieno
Administrative Manager
Afriregister Ltd (Ke)
P.o.Box 21682