[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

Evans Ikua ikua at lpakenya.org
Mon Aug 31 14:12:36 EAT 2009

Kagai,
I am a bit surprised by your comments. What is the difference between
a dead clone and dead used computer? They are all e-waste. They both
have a similar lifespan, and sometimes a clone can be outlived by a
used branded computer.

Consider this; 6 years ago I sold used Compaq P3s to a company that is
still using them today. Clones that I sold after that have all died.

And what about that comment about those who "MUST" work with the used
computers?
They don't choose that way. It's their small pockets that determine
what they can afford. If I can't afford a car from the DT Dobie show
room, then am happy to drive one that has done 8 years but it's still
got another 10 to go. But you can't tell me not to drive at all. What
you saying is tantamount to telling people that if they cant get bread
then they should eat cake...

I am anti-dumping and I care about the environment. But I just believe
that there is a better way of tackling this.

--
Evans Ikua
Linux Professional Association of Kenya