[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

Bildad Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:17:20 EAT 2009

On Aug 30, 2009, at 11:40 PM, waudo siganga wrote:
> As for the environmental fears, I think (with respect to Prof) that is
> hyperbole like Y2K.

Waudo Esq,

You compel me to make one final submission to this debate because it
now sounds like we have a division and its a matter of who wins (for
donations and against donations) whilst in essence we are meant to be
on the same side....for Kenya and Kenyans.

Someone mentioned we produce 3000 tonnes of e-waste every year
locally. Do we then really need to import new and extra waste at a
cost both financial and environmental?? If we had an elaborate process
where each private company (including government) knew where they need
to take their old computers for refurbishment to assist those in other
sectors of the pyramid, then they would be available to Nicholas
Kitavi and others at an even cheaper cost. Lets work with our own waste.

I hear this list has over 300 observers....lurkers (both international
and local) and the last thing we want to sound is typical
Kenyan...where we don't agree on Mau, Constitution and even computer
donations. At least let us agree that for those who MUST work with
refurbished computers, Kenya and its environs has the capacity to
producer cheaper waste which is less toxic.

With regard to e-waste being a hyperbole, I urge you to think again
and again and.......Again.