[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Sun Aug 30 23:40:50 EAT 2009

Dear Colleagues -
I do not believe that there is such a thing as a "useless computer"
however old it is and even if it does not boot. There are scores of
commercial computer training colleges in urgent search for such
equipment. I have reproduced an email from one Nicholas Kitavi
(nikokit2001 at yahoo.com) below who I recently helped to get discarded
equipment for his students in Limuru. They disassemble it and use it for
their classes. How are we going to get capacity for an assembly industry
if there are no old computers to tinker with? These machines are to
future technicians like cadavers to anatomy students. Nicholas will BUY
these old machines from you to use for something worthwhile.

I do not mind decisions being taken to dissuade the importation of
anything but it is important to INVOLVE stakeholders. In the case of
used computers people like Nicholas and Evans Ikua (whose business is
selling them) are examples of those who should be consulted. There
needed to be a discussion like the one on this list with people for and
against bringing their different view-points and consensus reached.
There are instances in the past when IT has been messed up by Government
through non-consultation on issues. One classic example - albeit not not
by the current Government - was when when it was decided unilaterally in
the 1990s that computers take away jobs and a 150% import duty penalty
was imposed, pulling IT development back a number of years.

By way of facts, 90% of Commercial Colleges and 80% of Cyber Cafes use
the so-called "dumped" computers. Consult these people. Overall 73% of
the computers in use in the country are the so-called "dumped". Consult
these people. Vendors who sell computers in Nairobi - visit any shop -
know that "dumped" keyboards, for example, last longer than most "new"
ones. That is why the indicative price for new is 250/= and for "dumped"
Compaq, HP, etc. is 500/=. Consult these people.

As for the environmental fears, I think (with respect to Prof) that is
hyperbole like Y2K.

These are just my private views anyway like everyone is entitled to
theirs. To get a better position, involve all stakeholders and: CONSULT,
CONSULT, CONSULT. See Nicholas email below any help him and others:

"dear sirs,
allow me to introduce myself for bussiness purposes
only.we are a college located in limuru which trains students
computer hardware,maintainance&electronics.
we thus do buy computers and computer parts that in most cases are
not working ie
mother boards,casings,hard disks,floppy drives,
monitors,power supply copiers,printers etc.
we therefore wish to declare our interest on those
items incase you have any that you would like to
dispose please do not hesitate to contact us.thanking
you in advance.
n.m.kitavi

distinction one computer college
p.o.box 48211,00100
nairobi
tel;254-020-3593363
cell;0720824479/0751824479

nb;please forward this to mail to any of your contacts
that could be of help.
rgds"