[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

wesley kirinya kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 09:25:42 EAT 2009

I'm told that when one imports computer parts they're charged duty, but when importing a wholy assembled computer (I'm assuming new) then no duty is charged. If this is correct, why doesn't the govenment scrap the duty on imported parts to further boost local assembly efforts?
All in all, I don't see why the government should spend efforts in local assembly unless Kenya is adding value to the hardware in the assembled computers, or Kenya manufactures computer hardware (like China). A few years back I read that there is negligable cost savings in buying parts and assembling verses purchasing the assembled machine.

O_O