[kictanet] Invitation to the 2009 Kenya Internet GovernanceForum (Kenya IGF); 19th August 2009

Evans J. Nyagah ejnyagah at Telkom.co.ke
Wed Aug 12 16:04:47 EAT 2009

Dot eac is even a better idea but we could reserve dot ea as well, is
kenic running with this or it will get lost in the air, I would
classify this as a great opportunity for the future of kenic in an
itegrated environment.

BR
Evans

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:04 PM, "Bill Kagai" <billkagai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Evans J. Nyagah<ejnyagah at telkom.co.ke
> > wrote:
>> Talking of ICANN, Alex who would regulate an east Africa domain, i.e.
>> dot co.ea, et al?
>> Do we have a body looking at this with the talk of ea federation?
>

> I remember we discussed this in June 2007. Following is a transcript
> of what contributors felt...before Kenya changed...
>
>    hide details 6/19/07
>

> For those in the know, how feasible is introducing a dot [EA] domain.
> With a lucrative market population of 109 million after adding Rwanda
> and Burundi into East Africa Community...is it possible to have one
> website with a [.ea] domain instead of having 5 websites for [.ke],
> [.ug], [.tz], [.rw] and [.bi]?? And may be soon [.southsudan]??
>
> --
> With Kind Regards,
> Bildad Kagai
> MD - MediaCorp Limited
> Suite B2, Tetu Apartments
> StateHouse Avenue
> P. O. Box 20311-00200
> Tel. 254 20 272 8332
> URL. www.mediacorp.co.ke
> --
>
>    hide details 6/19/07
>

> Bill..
> Good thought..I guess there should also be an option of copyrighting
> concepts and ideas. timely and well thought.
>
> Ben Makai
>    hide details 6/19/07
>

>  may be this will help
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/new-tld-application-instructions-15aug
>

>    hide details 6/20/07
>

> Well,
>
> there is .EU .. And take it from me, they are not very organized ..
>
> Kai
>
>    hide details 6/20/07
>

> Dear All,
>
> It has taken the .EU over 4 years to have it in place. Its taken
> similary .ASIA the equivalent to have theirs in place.
> .EA is entered into the IS0-3166-1 standards table and reserved as the
> country code for Ceuta and Melilla.
>
> Hence for ICANN to issue a two letter code, it has to be in the
> ISO-3166-1 table.
>
> There are other requirements that also have to be met for the
> process to
> be completed. It requires intense collaboration amongst members of the
> community to see the application approved by ICANN.
>
> For whats it worth its some discussions that we have been having
> amongst
> ourselves and there are challenges to this effect.
>
> First line of thought is are we at a point ready to thrown in
> competition to our national ccTLDs?.
>
> If to compare with the EU, most ccTLD's within the region are well
> established with over 100,000 domain names - hence very financially
> stable. In our region, none of the 3 ccTLDs are above 10,000 domains.
> Can the ccTLDs compete with the .EA or its equivalent?.
>
> Or is the thinking line that we may eventually move to a political
> [...]

Scanned by MailMarshal - Marshal's comprehensive email content security solution.
Download a free evaluation of MailMarshal at www.marshal.com