[kictanet] Invitation to the 2009 Kenya Internet GovernanceForum (Kenya IGF); 19th August 2009

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:59:34 EAT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Evans J. Nyagah<ejnyagah at telkom.co.ke> wrote:
> Talking of ICANN, Alex who would regulate an east Africa domain, i.e.
> dot co.ea, et al?
> Do we have a body looking at this with the talk of ea federation?

I remember we discussed this in June 2007. Following is a transcript
of what contributors felt...before Kenya changed...

	hide details 6/19/07

For those in the know, how feasible is introducing a dot [EA] domain.
With a lucrative market population of 109 million after adding Rwanda
and Burundi into East Africa Community...is it possible to have one
website with a [.ea] domain instead of having 5 websites for [.ke],
[.ug], [.tz], [.rw] and [.bi]?? And may be soon [.southsudan]??

--
With Kind Regards,
Bildad Kagai

	hide details 6/19/07

Bill..
Good thought..I guess there should also be an option of copyrighting
concepts and ideas. timely and well thought.

Ben Makai
	hide details 6/19/07

 may be this will help
http://www.icann.org/tlds/new-tld-application-instructions-15aug

	hide details 6/20/07

Well,

there is .EU .. And take it from me, they are not very organized ..

Kai

	hide details 6/20/07

Dear All,

It has taken the .EU over 4 years to have it in place. Its taken
similary .ASIA the equivalent to have theirs in place.
.EA is entered into the IS0-3166-1 standards table and reserved as the
country code for Ceuta and Melilla.

Hence for ICANN to issue a two letter code, it has to be in the
ISO-3166-1 table.

There are other requirements that also have to be met for the process to
be completed. It requires intense collaboration amongst members of the
community to see the application approved by ICANN.

For whats it worth its some discussions that we have been having amongst
ourselves and there are challenges to this effect.

First line of thought is are we at a point ready to thrown in
competition to our national ccTLDs?.

If to compare with the EU, most ccTLD's within the region are well
established with over 100,000 domain names - hence very financially
stable. In our region, none of the 3 ccTLDs are above 10,000 domains.
Can the ccTLDs compete with the .EA or its equivalent?.

Or is the thinking line that we may eventually move to a political
federation and hence no need of the .KE, .TZ, .UG, .RW, .BI et al.

Regards,
Michuki Mwangi

Kagwe James wrote:
> Anything can change I guess and with the current waves of regional
> integrations ICANN may have to reconsider its hard stance on this and
> create another classification of regional top level domains (RTLD) just
> like the CCTLD's, or something like that.

Bill Kagai to Kenya	show details 6/20/07

Perhaps what is important is to ensure we do not get tangled in
logistics and endless debate over the [.ea] domain with Melila and
Ceuta. An alternative can be an ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 extension [.eac]
for [.EastAfricaCommunity] which I have checked is still unclaimed.

I do not hold any copyright to the [.eac] or [.ea] idea so if KICTANET
or any of its members can run with it, it will be beneficial to
me...because I will reach a bigger market for my stock information
subscription without the public fret that [.ke] is taking all the
business in East Africa.

Michuki...I therefore see [.eac] as an aggressive  business strategy
complimenting [.ke], [.tz] etc and not as competition.

Alice...If KICTANET knows some influential people at the East Africa
Community Secretariat in Arusha, maybe they can help get things into
second gear with ICANN??

Bill