[kictanet] Invitation to the 2009 Kenya Internet GovernanceForum (Kenya IGF); 19th August 2009

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Thu Aug 13 16:21:07 EAT 2009

Hi Evans,

The two letter codes used for country codes are derived from the
ISO-3166-1 table maintained by the International Standardization
Organization - ISO (www.iso.org).

The two letter codes EA are reserved (not in use) for Ceuta and Melilla
Cities which are Spanish enclaves located on the Mediterranean Sea.

Its therefore going to be a long approach to reverse this reservation
from Spain to East Africa before then proceeding to request for entry of
this into the Root Zone from ICANN as a ccTLD similar to what the EU did
for the .EU.

Applying for the dot EACA means its going to be a sponsored TLD. The
approach will be similar to what .ASIA did for their region. There
currently exists a procedure for new (sponsored) TLD applications at
ICANN. However theres ongoing discussions for opening up the Root to
more gTLDs. More information on this discussion is available on the
ICANN website http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtld-program.htm

The next round of applications for new gTLDs should be likely in late
2009 or 2010 depending on the outcome of the discussions.

Points to consider is that a sponsored TLD costs money (lots of money)
and will meet a stringent technical and financial model requirements. As
such, while its a good to have the question to ask is; is there a
business case for domain names in the region to warrant for the creation
of a regional gTLD. How have our ccTLDs faired in comparison with the
existing gTLDs and what opportunities would this present should we
choose to proceed with this initiative?.

my2cents.

Regards,

Michuki.