[kictanet] Seacom goes live- wait for TEAMS

aki aki275 at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 1 22:59:03 EAT 2009

Dear list, I've been trying very hard to hold back on my comments and
probably the last for a while. I'm your average techie and believe safaricom
pricing is not an issue at this early stage.

What is important and extremely positive is that Safaricom become the FIRST
operator in the entire country to bring the new world to our data networks.
While there should be discussion about pricing, NO other operator nor ISP
has so far given kenyans access to the much needed undersea cable capacity,
besides 1-4 month projections about providing the capacity. Price
comparisons will only happen if others follow suite but as we now know, this
is delayed for a few months. This delay is not positive and this is what the
discussion should be about.

As of July 25th morning 2009, Safaricom become the pioneer in delivery of
seacom data capacity from the global arena. This is the most historic moment
for some of us in the networks world. And for that, Mr Michael Joseph and
Safaricom take the lead while others follow. Its that simple and in my
book, such operators as Safaricom deserve plenty of positiveness!

Incase you were not aware, there are two type of networks in kenya at the
moment : Real Broadband ( Safaricom ) and Unknown Broadband ( Other players
) .  Let the other players learn something from Safaricom. I can probably
write a full page on this, but will refrain.

If my comments have erred, kindly do take them as an amatuer's response to
this thread.

With Rgds.