[kictanet] IG Discussions- Day 4 of 10: Critical Internet Resources, IPv6, TLDs

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 16:02:19 EAT 2009

Hi

I have the following comments on:

*IPv6*

IPv6 presentation done by participants of the Diplo Foundation Internet
Governance Capacity Building Programme at the IGF in Hyderabad (
http://diploedu.diplomacy.edu/poolbin.asp?IDPool=798) is a good introduction
to the issues that we need to consider:

   - Introduction: What is IPv6, and do we really need it? IPv6 Transition:
   What are the technical, economic and developmental aspects of the
   transition?
   - IPv6 Main Players: Who are the main players in this field, globally,
   regionally and nationally?
   - National Case Studies: What is happening in different countries? (Kenya
   included – may be not as detailed!)

You may wish to get acquitted with the AfriNIC IPv6 *Policies for
allocations and assignments* available at
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-v6200407-000.htm#5

*.Ke ccTLD*

The Kenya Communications (Amendment) Act, 2009 (
http://www.communication.go.ke/media.asp?id=775) section 83D states that:  *No
person all update a repository or administer a sub-domain (this I presume
this will be .co.ke, .ne.ke, .or.ke, etc) except in accordance with a
licence granted under this act.*

The ccTLD domain is managed in the interest of the local internet community.
The objective of KENIC is "*promote, manage and operate the delegated .ke
ccTLD in the interest of the Kenyan Internet community and being mindful of
the global Internet community interest in consistent with Internet
Corporation for Assigned Numbers and Names (ICANN) policies*.”  I would
therefore ask the following question: What in your view would be the
criteria that organizations/institutions will need to satisfy in order to be
licensed to act as repositories or administrators of .KE sub domains.  In my
opinion the organizations/institutions should first and foremost act in the
interest of the ‘local internet community’.

What do you think would be the effect of separately managing sub domain on
the existing public private partnership model that has been used as
international best practice (
http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/workshop/cctld/035r1.pdf).

Finally, I believe it would be of interest for us all to listen to the
following presentation “Evolution of KENIC & Overview of the Kenya
Communications (Amendment) Act of 2008” (
http://www.kenic.or.ke/2009_KENIC_AGM_Programme.pdf) proposed to be
presented at the KENIC AGM scheduled for 8th May -hope you are planning to
attend J?

Kind regards

Mwende

*Disclaimer: Views expressed are the author’s own*