[kictanet] BPO Industry Review (was Re: Stakeholder Queries:)

Gilda Odera godera at skyweb.co.ke
Tue Sep 2 19:11:55 EAT 2008

Thanks Brian.
Let me attempt to respond to your comments/queries.
1.Kenya's positioning:- It does call for serious budgets, what we are seeing
will not take us too far. We have been clamouring for more budgets and
proper execution. So far we have yet to see the ICT Board's marketing
strategy so the private sector has gone ahead and developed one we will use
as we cannot wait endlessly. We will be launching this on September 10th-
look out for this.

2. Capacity issues are seriously being addressed. We at the KBPO&CC Society
have a training committee comprising of players from captives and third
party vendors, an excellent team. We are not reinventing the wheel but
looking at the top recognised training standards/curriculum for Call
centres/ BPOs/ software develop ment. They are not many. We are then going
further and looking at our basic foundation courses that are needed locally.
The team is halfway and will be finalising this by end September. If we want
to serve global standards, we need a training competency framework based on
the recognised modules eg. CIAC, BCI etc. Incidentally these are already
being offered in Kenya by franchise holders. Anyone needing this information
can contact Joseph Ochola at the society secretariat.

3. We also have a standards committee who so ably launched a draft standards
and ethics guideline three months ago. This group is led by David Otwoma.
Again they did not reinvent the wheel but borrowed from existing global
standards. Yes a document is available at the secretariat. This team is fine
tuning the draft document and has a goal to complete this within 6 months at
most.

4.I would say we need more forums for local entrepreneurs to share
information, hear from experts, have programs where experts work in a local
entreprise for 3-6 months (we did that). We need to have (and the Society is
again organising such) exchange programs where Kenyans work in Indian
centres for 3 months and are taken through processes. It need not only be
India though cost wise it makes more sense. We are establishing the same
with other countries.

5.BPO is not the "Holy Grail". In my view everyone has their area of passion
and if we all gave our best in our areas of passion we would go a long way.
I am not sure where you get the impression that many perceive it to be the
"Holy Grail" though.  I  believe it has gotten attention of very many
Kenyans because we are enterprising and it is not just a Kenyan interest,
the whole of Africa is running for a piece of the action. Let us encourage
entrepreneurs who are able and have business ties to get into the industry
to do so. But we need better Government support.

6.KPLC is a member of the Kenya BPO and Contact Centre Society. In case you
did not know, they have a very busy call centre. Captives (ie.in-house
centres) are a very integral part of this industry. I hope that explains it.
We have banks lining up to join now and are talking to most captives.

7.Regarding the costs of operation that Safaricom referred to, I do not
think it is in my place to comment on why they found it that way. I do know
they were talking to companies both local and international who were to set
shop in Kenya and they zeroed in on the international ones who were to set
shop in Kenya. Could that be why it was expensive? Maybe Safaricom can tell
us, I do not know.

8. As I had mentioned, given that we are a new destination and insufficient
direct marketing of the country has been done, we are bound to initially
attract brokers. That is the trend. But as we establish ourselves and the
fibre optic cables (?) come in next year, the story will be different. We
will start getting direct clients. We are really in the teething stages, we
have to crawl before we walk. The interventions are in place in our three
year marketing strategy.

I would think this in now clearer?
Thanks.

Gilda