[kictanet] BPO Industry Review (was Re: Stakeholder Queries:)

Justin Mburu jt.alliance at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 22:19:28 EAT 2008

Good day All,

This interesting subject on BPO rather caught my attention intensely I must
say :-)

I have just come from the UK a couple of months back and look to setup a
contact center locally, now that the industry has begun to pick up amid the
hiccups here and there.

And to pick up on some of Sam Regee's points as outlined below, i will also
tend to share my findings as well: (My comments are in blue font in
commenting to Sam Regee's comments)

> 1. That much of the BPO sector has been set up in an uncompetitive
framework
> that cannot be sustained. Businesses (for this is what they are) have been
> set up while factoring heavily the potential government subsidy. --- I
have a friend of mine who set up here on Kenya long before the subsidy was
in place, and so therefore you cannot base your claims on a few vendors who
set up in a rush for the subsidy only to close shop when they realized that
the bandwidth wasnt forth-coming at all.Meaning they got in the industry on
a wrong foot. There are several which are still operating and have been on
since even before the subsidy issue.

> 2. That the private sector players in the industry are too dependent on
> government (through the Kenya ICT Board) for marketing and business.
> Essentially there is too much government in the business of outsourcing
here
> - not from a legislative perspective but from an operational perspective

> This is clearly untenable because, having glanced at the Kenya ICT Board's
> strategy as articulated by its officials severally, their mandate goes
much
> further than BPO - as at the time they were set up, that is. For sure, I
> perceive them as a marketing organization but marketing Kenya's overall
ICT
> rather than just IT enabled services.---- Sam if you look clearly, you
will realise private sector are not that dependent on government/ICT Board
at all. Have you even walked around the existing centers and seen how
developed most are? Did government/ICT Board help them get to the levels of
development they are in? I think not. If I were you I would visit existing
centers first before I leap to claiming the private sector are
dependant on government/ICT
Board. Or maybe you can shade some light for us on what exactly you mean by
' too dependent'  :-) and also it is obvious government has to be involved
because if you have been keen on what has been going on since you arrived in
the country, you will realise BPO is one of the 5 pillars of the set Vision
2030 which is a government initiative. So whether we like it or not,
government has a major role to play in ensuring this industry picks up here
in Kenya.

On the note of ICT Board's role in marketing, if you have been keen on all
organised BPO/Contact Center events, ICT Board itself has always put itself
on the frontline in this events, meaning they themselves are the ones
focusing too much on the BPO/Contact center industry and putting so much
energy on it, (which is a good thing anyway) , while there are so many ICT
things to market on. So I agree with you that ICT Board should focus on
marketing Kenya's overall ICT rather than just IT enabled services.

> 3. That the private sector umbrella body, the Kenya BPO Society - and I
have
> read the discussions by the chairman of the Society here - seems to not
> articulate well its programmes (at least to my understanding) what they
are
> about overally.---- From my point, the chairman of the society clearly
laid out who they are overally, and what they do. And for such a young
society, I say kudos to where they are now. You can visit their offices and
I am sure they will be more than glad to tell you on a one-on-one basis what
they are all about. For all I know, they are doing a great job, and I wish
them all the best as they continue to drwa the industry to high depths. Just
to give you a bit of what they have achieved so far, so that you can
apprecaiate they are on the right direction, they recently launched the
Standards & Ethics guidelines for the industry, which I say is a very
brilliant step, considering how young the industry is here in Kenya. So it
is with such laid guidelines that the BPO industry in Kenya will be able to
be laid in a firm solid foundation that is based on international operation
standards in BPO & Contact Center industy.

> If I were to turn to the BPO Services Association Unlimited (
> http://www.bsau.org/), I can see a marketing campaign and a marketing
> position that they have taken. This came from the outsourcing private
sector
> - and some of their programmes have support from the Phillipino government
> but the drive is from the private sector. If I look at NASSCOM, I can see
> that they are private sector led and their main purpose is the promotion
of
> India as the leader in BPO services globally. In fact, they start by
saying
> that they are a global organization - which is a position of strength.

> Has the BPO Society attained such a level of pedigree - which starts in
the
> mind with strategy - that would enable them to lead the sector to
> prosperity? I have not heard it in their discussions at the few events
where
> I have had a chance to listen to the Chairperson and other officials of
the
> society.-----My friend, it seems you have really been behind the screens
with the society updates. Next week they will be launching their 3 year
marketing strategy plan. This is indeed another brilliant step they will
have taken as young an association as they are.From one of their forums, I
remember them mentioning that one of their strategies is to join hands with
several associations globally. This shows great initiative in making sure
the industry gets recognized globaly through such relations. It rather
unfortunate that the society did not get to participate at the EXPO ZARAGORA
2008 Spain event which from my research had many international associations
attending the event such that it could have been an ideal place to network
and form relations with the other international associations. I hear the
society was to participate but they got a critical hiccup at the last minute
(maybe the society chairman can fill us in on what exactly happened for them
to miss such a crucial beneficial event). But I hear the CEO of ICT Board Mr
Paul Kukubo and a local call center director,attended the event, maybe they
can shed more light for us (if they are in the mailing list) what exactly
went on in the Spain event and if they managed to secure any opportunities
from the event. It is at such events that the society looks to the
government support in ensuring they and also some industry players get to
attend such events as Kenyan political figures were also present at the
event as well as government officials. Such is where much lobbying can take
place and the society can lobby their way to getting in beneficial relations
with other international associations as well us get prospective clienst for
industry players at some point.

Hey and dont you think you are being too harsh on the society by comparing
them with giant international BPO industries which definately have giant
associations as well? I say give some credit to the Kenya BPO Society this
far they have come. So instead of comparing them with big giants, look more
into working with them into becoming a giant as well.

Kenya BPO society is also private sector led, its only that the ICT Board
takes much of the show (and we are not saying this is a bad thing) hence I
think this ends up confusing industry players, and it always ends up looking
like the industry is government driven, if you get my point. The government
should be there just to support maybe in terms of funding society-organsised
BPO events, which are beneficial to all industry players for instance in
marketing the country as a BPO destination, etc. But what the government/ICT
Board should not do is brand all BPO related shows to be government/ICT
Board shows, as this is what makes it all look like the industry in Kenya is
government/ICT Board-driven and govt/ICT Board dependant, in stead of being
private sector-driven.

> c) Has the BPO Society (or the Kenya ICT Board since they are so much in
the
> thick of things here) done a comprehensive marketing plan for the sector -
> or do they each have one? ---- For all I know, I hear  the Kenya BPO
society has a marketing strategy which they are launching some time next
week. Maybe you should find our more details about it from the society
itself, so that you can be able to attend and maybe you will get your
answers there. I will be attending, and would really like to meet you there
Sam Regee so that we can chit chat about this industry in a more
comprehensive way. What do you say? I sure hope to see you there. I never
miss society events as they give me hope that there is a light at the end of
the tunnel in this BPO industry here in Kenya.

As for ICT Board, I have not heard of any so far.

I hope this has helped you gauge the phase we are at now in this new
industry in Kenya.

On a lighter note, what does the ZBI from you signature stand for?

Regards,

Justin

> [...]
>
> a) Is there any science to a slice of  the $310 Billion opportunity
> presented by the society? This is to ask, how many seats would we need to
> have to have a 1% slice of the opportunity?
>
> b) How many BPO operators are there now - and more pointedly - how many
are
> actually functional?
>
> c) Has the BPO Society (or the Kenya ICT Board since they are so much in
the
> thick of things here) done a comprehensive marketing plan for the sector -
> or do they each have one?
>
> This is a very good discussion.
>

> -------------------------------
> Dr. Sam Regee
> ZBI
>

> ⁣null⁣
>
> On 09/04/2008 "Brian Longwe" <blongwe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >This message bounced back yesterday - seems the listserver is having some

Queries:)

?

> [...]
> in
> > the developed world with over 400 "clerical employees" who they pay an
> > average of 3000$ per month. If you went and targeted these companies
> > you can get 100k per employee, pay the employee 50k etc and the client
> will
> > be happy, you happy, employee happy ...
> >
> > Many local clients take 60-90 days to pay invoices. In US for example,
> > depending on state, it's illegal to hold a vendors payment when work has
> > been done ….
> >
> > My point ... BPOs, Software Providers have to be willing to ignore the
> local
> > market and focus on external sources of business. The local market is
too
> > small, too complicated and the waters are very muddied.
> >
> > About brokers and "consultants". I have been approached by quite a few.
> > People who claim to have connections, venture capital and all that good
> > stuff. I learnt early to say no… early. They are a waste of time in my
> book
> >
> > Kenya will not become a better outsourcing destination if we come up
with
> > ethics guidelines, an act of parliament and the like … now, those will
not
> > hurt … but we will benefit more if the ICT Board flanked companies when
> they
> > are pitching their services to potential clients.
> >
> > By flanking I mean fly to meet the client, do research on financials,
help
> > with financing - have a conference in US and invite 100 potential and
> vetted
> > clients to meet Kenyan providers …. This works like a charm here .. (if
> GOK
> > spends 500k on tickets and 30 Kenyans are hired making 50k … - ROI is
> there
> > pretty fast)
> >
> > If the CEO of the ICT board calls the CEO of ATT he is more likely to
get
> > meeting and business as opposed to the CEO of Kamau Wanjala Outsourcers
…
> > again, I don't know what the ICT Board has been doing (am sure they have
> > done a lot … may be like top secret strategy stuff) but in my opinion
the
> > CEO of that board should be based in US for like 90% of the year .. talk
> > clients, be a rain maker, schmooze, play golf and open doors.
> >

> > I have always felt that the ICT Board should headhunt and hire people
with
> > C level experience from either US or UK … people from the bigger
> consulting
> > companies Bain, BCG, Accenture, Avanade, EDS … these guys work on
million
> > dollar outsourcing deals and have very good contacts. They also would be
> > able to come up with a strategy immediately
> >

> > As Gilda has shown, the harvest is plentiful …

Queries:)

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/otwomad%40gmail.com>

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/likoa%40verviant.com

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/blongwe%40gmail.com>