[kictanet] Malaysia/Policy Clarifications

mwananchi at hushmail.com mwananchi at hushmail.com
Mon Oct 13 07:38:31 EAT 2008

Many thanks to PS Ndemo for his responses in answering the numerous
issues raised despite the determined attempts of some list members
to prevent that from happening.

PS Ndemo says he does not understand how the transaction was done
yet he went ahead to somehow sign documents and commit the
Government. This level of transparency is commendable as there are
few in government who would give their honest assessment of such a
matter.

There is a very short and simple chronology to the facts on the
transaction.

1. April 13, 2006 - Justice Ibrahim Mohammed in Case 1640/2004 in
the High Court of Kenya rules that the Econet licence remains
cancelled as ordered by the Minister for Information and
Communications. The case had been filed by Econet against the
Government and CCK in an attempt to reverse the cancellation of the
Econet licence by the Minister.
   http://rapidshare.com/files/152947988/final_court_ruling.pdf

2. July 20, 2007 - PS Ndemo signs a "settlement agreement"
purporting to settle case 1640 which the Government had already won
through the High Court's ruling upholding the Minister's
cancellation of the licence.

The Government had already won the case! Econet was ordered to pay
the Government and taxpayers costs and the court upheld the
cancellation of the licence! There was nothing left to settle other
than for Econet to meet its obligation of paying Tax Payers legal
costs!

The second case which was filed personally against the Minister
became moot, academic and died a natural death following the
ruling. In any case Econet was unable to raise the US$15 million
security it was ordered to deposit with the court in the case
against the Minister.

The cover of "sub judice" does not hold when cases have already
reached their logical conclusion and there are no ongoing cases.

The facts are simple:

- There were no cases to be settled against the Government, the
Government won its case fair and square against Econet.

- The "settlement" appears to have been a public relations stunt
aimed at keeping from public notice Justice Mohammed's ruling.

- The Government faced no liability contrary to PS Ndemo's
statements following the rulings in favour of GK.

- Econet was liable to the Government and thus Taxpayers per the
Judge's ruling and not as PS Ndemo inaccurately claims.

- Econet having failed to meet its licence obligations stood to
legally and correctly loose any monies it had paid to the
Government without the Government incurring any liability.

The Government won its case square and fair in court but PS Ndemo
is misleading Wananchi that the Government was going to loose long
after the case had already concluded.

We are simply requesting the Government to treat all scams in the
same commendable way the PS has taken on the Postapay and satellite
crooks without engaging in selective justice.

Regards,

Peterson

--
Click here to learn more about nursing jobs.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4eKMGXhTQTmbf6gMPaKpzEItCperpbR6uzYlGPBRacUzi1JI/