[kictanet] Civil Society Roles (activities, motives & challenges) Day 3 of 10

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 08:47:10 EAT 2008

Morning,

Today and tomorrow, we want to rapidly scan the activities
initiated by Civil Societyon  on ICT4D landscape. Members
are expected to cite the organisation and what they are
doing and if possible the objectives and challenges.

I wish to start with One group that comes to mind -The
Computer for Schools initiative which I think is involved
in importing,refurbishing and deploying used computers to
various primary and secondary schools.

And I speak as an external observer when I say that
probably their motive or objective is to ensure that all
schools have PCs that students can access. Possible
challenges could be whether those schools have the
pre-requisite requirements to exploit or use these PCs i.e.
do they have IT Teachers, Electrical Power Supply, ICT
Training Content, or even time allocation to teach IT
within our otherwise over-loaded Primary and Secondary
Curricula?

Feel free to share your experiences, observations or
comments using any Civil Society Initiative. Yes, even
KICTAnet is on the table if you wish ;-) though one can
argue that is more of an MSP than CS (thanks to Tim Unwin's
terminology).  Anyway, let this be an opportunity for
self-examination rather than finger-pointing, character
assassination and/or temper raising opportunity.

The floor is open for today (wed 21st) and tomorrow (thrs
22nd) on this theme.

walu.