[kictanet] Fears About Safaricom (was M-PESA for E-Commerce)

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 18:37:30 EAT 2008

True, Alex you owe an apology for exagarating MJs role as a
'government' employee.  If he is 'guilty' of being a
government (KCCT) Board Member, so too are several other
prominent private sector players - Merali, Nesbit,
F.Muhindi amongst other newly appointed KCCT Board members.

And i think it would be a disservice to KCCT - the emerging
national ICT Center of Excellence - if we scared away busy
personalities that would add value under the pretext that
they would then collude with the Regulator. Halloo! one
need NOT be a government employee in order to collude with
the Regulator...

walu.

kictanet-bounces+mjoseph=safaricom.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke

<kictanet-bounces+mjoseph=safaricom.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
> [...]
> doubt that they represent the new Kenya we need where
> genuine Fair
> Play is practiced, everyone small and big have access to
> prosperity.
> The current CCK Board endorsed Michael Joseph to serve
> with them....
> i.e. Regulator and regulated merged.
>
> I shall not be afraid for consumers and myself
> thereafter.
>
> Alex
>
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Odhiambo Washington
> <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Michael Joseph
> <MJoseph at safaricom.co.ke>
> > wrote:
> > > Alex:
> > >
> > > Why are you afraid? Bill asked a question and we
> answered it. We could
> > > have ignored it but we felt it was good to
> contribute. We are continuing
> > > to develop M-Pesa and this functionality has been in
> development for
> > > some time. We even see a direct connection to the
> internet for customers
> > > to pay on-line just by clicking a link to M-Pesa.
> > >
> > > Why is everything we do bad? Just because we are big?
> We got that way by
> > > listening to our customers and delivering products
> and services that
> > > they wanted and would use.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Michael
> > >
> > > CEO
> > > Safaricom Limited
> > >

> > Hello MJ,
> >
> > I think you slightly missed the point there. Gakuru is
> obviously right. It's
> > only you who may not admit the facts regarding his
> fears, but I want to
> > believe his fears are well founded.
> >  I am not playing Alex Gakuru's advocate but what I
> believe he meant to say
> > was the fact that Safaricom would not be willing to let
> entities like the
> > original poster of this thread to take advantage of a
> service like M-PESA in
> > a way that Safaricom would feel is in direct
> competition with it.
> >  When I initially responded to Harrison Karanja Kairo,
> the OP, and mentioned
> > that he could consult with the product's R&D team at
> Safaricom, I did say,
> > in my initial response something like "I am not sure
> they are
> > allowed/willing to work with you on this as I already
> see securityissues
> > coming up". I was expressing the same fears as Alex in
> a "diplomatic"
> > manner. Perhaps you can prove me wrong, but what
> Harrison Karanja had wanted
> > was something akin to grabbing that magic code that
> accompies an M-PESA
> > transaction and use it to validate a transaction. So,
> if only to prove
> > Gakuru wrong, could you kindly ask Pauline Vaughan to
> help the OP (one,
> > Harrison Karanja) with the necessary advise regarding

=== message truncated ===>

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/jwalu%40yahoo.com