[kictanet] Fears About Safaricom (was M-PESA for E-Commerce)

Michael Joseph MJoseph at Safaricom.co.ke
Fri Mar 7 17:14:58 EAT 2008

One very important correction - I am apparently a Board Member of the KCCT not CCK. Please correct this. I did not ask for this. We are helping with the ICT development and I guess this is why I was appointed..

It is most unfair to continue to bring up the sms and sms connection to TKL. We refunded all who we charged incorrectly and we explained the lack of connectivity.

 I think debating issues this way when one can blatantly say things which are misleading does not encourage real debate about real issues.

I will say no more on this list

Michael Joseph
CEO
Safaricom Limited

BlackBerry powered by Safaricom

----- Original Message -----
From: kictanet-bounces+mjoseph=safaricom.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke <kictanet-bounces+mjoseph=safaricom.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
To: Michael Joseph
Cc: skunkworks at my.co.ke <skunkworks at my.co.ke>; kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>; ke-users <ke-internetusers at bdix.net>
Sent: Fri Mar 07 12:17:13 2008
Subject: [kictanet] Fears About Safaricom (was M-PESA for E-Commerce)

Indeed Washington you listened and captured my response correctly.
However, Michael Joseph has asked a new very worthy question to
respond to "Alex: Why are you afraid?"

1. Michael Joseph, among other big Telco faces successfully made baby
steps into government and so you will now be getting income and
emoluments from taxpayers kitty! Nation cartoonist last year had an
"MJ for President" cartoon and in retrospect I wonder how much of a
joke that really was. You are now Board member appointed under State
Corporations Act through Kenya of Gazette dated Friday, 29 February,
2008. He will be a colleague serving in a Board chaired by his
"independent" market regulator CCK. Should not any right thinking
person have reasons to be afraid?

2. Today, CCK in Kenya Gazette of 7th March 2008 notice, publishes by
two companies ( Cykim Limited and Intelligent Contacts Solutions)
applying for the protested VAS license.
Why did CCK not wait for the issue to be first resolved before
publishing this notice, unless it had already been decided?

3. Current CCK annual report says that the commission received just 17
consumer complaints in their last reporting year of which they were
able to resolve only four. Perhaps its only me but, I find 17
complaints statistically abnormal considering the industry had over 10
million mobile phone users and 2.7 million internet users. Would
anyone know if CCK were ISO 10002 compliant? I would appreciate that
information very much.

> > Why is everything we do bad? Just because we are big? We got that way by
> > listening to our customers and delivering products and services that
> > they wanted and would use.

4. There have been very dark clouds over your past path. These include
Mobitelea (and others whose fate now hangs in the balance without an
opposition and now you in government now...), charging for undelivered
services (such as sms) blocking access to other networks' services
etc..  I have a couple... The problem is that Safaricom morphed into a
scary uncaring giant fish swallowing anything on its way and CCK sits
watching.

Proposed solution:

The continued loss of faith and now confidence in CCK demonstrated
through above few examples is sufficiently compelling to warrant its
disbandment and to be replaced by another Board made up of persons
with consumer, public, wider industry, business, and particularly
encouraging to SMEs. A new board that will prove beyond a shadow of
doubt that they represent the new Kenya we need where genuine Fair
Play is practiced, everyone small and big have access to prosperity.
The current CCK Board endorsed Michael Joseph to serve with them....
i.e. Regulator and regulated merged.

I shall not be afraid for consumers and myself thereafter.

Alex

This message was sent to: mjoseph at safaricom.co.ke

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the named addressee.
Emails are susceptible to alteration and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. Safaricom Limited does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this email if the same is found to have been altered or manipulated.
The contents and opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Safaricom Limited. Safaricom Limited disclaims any liability to the fullest extent permissible by law for any consequences that may arise from the contents of this email including but not limited to personal opinions, malicious and/or defamatory information and data/codes that may compromise or damage the integrity of the recipient's information technology systems.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and immediately delete this email from your system.