[kictanet] M-PESA for E-Commerce

Bill Kagai mediacorp.research at mediacorp.co.ke
Fri Mar 7 09:15:15 EAT 2008

I have used MPESA in MediaCorp for 3 months now. What I find hilarious is
that when cell phones were introduced to Kenya, they were status symbol but
today when I tell a client to register or send a payment via mpesa they will
tend to find it obnoxious especially if they have 'some money'.

I hope MJ and co will be able to transform the product into a gateway
service rather than a solution perceived to be for the 'poor' by our elite
society. My verdict - It is more of a social / cultural challenge rather
than technical.

Bill