[kictanet] Public Sector Appointments must be on MERIT

Eric M.K Osiakwan emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Mon Jul 28 11:44:53 EAT 2008

On 26 Jul 2008, at 17:48, Joseph Manthi wrote:

> Waudo
> Great theoretical discourse on meritocracy but I must stand up for
> reason. Democracy is a bad system of government that awards winners
> with take all attitudes and ability to run governments the way they
> wish but it is the best we have today. And it is better than any
> other form of government.
That reminds me of Fidel Catro's democracy where though he is the
sitting revolutionary leader he subjects most significant state
policies to a referendum and if they people vote against it, he does
not have his way. In more ways than not Cuba has a social regime that
is working, take health, education, agriculture. That country has
being a leading comrade of Africa so may be it is time to learn some
of their good elements.  May be the "African democracy" should be a
combination of votting for the political office and also votting on
the policies they pursue and how they pursue it. Am a firm believe in
an evolution of democracy that would suit our context.

> The sooner we, as Kenyans, realize that every single senior
> position from Ministers to PS to all senior parastatals serve under
> the pleasure of the president despite merit and therefore their
> positions are political the sooner we can get on with the job at
> hand. Taking the right of the president to appoint whomever they
> want despite merit and politics is a pretty bad thing.
In most working democracies of today, what really happens is there is
a check and balance for the powers of the political leadership in
some ways by the opposition and in others by state institutions. We
weaken our democratic tenats when we allow the political system to
super impose on the state structures and create a neutralising effect
of the institutions to provide balance. in some cases it is soo bad
that we fail to create those institutions or make them work.

I have advocated that "regulatory institutions" weather in ICT,
finance, environment etc should be subjected to direct parliamentary
oversight rather than Ministerial and or Presidential oversight with
clearly laid out processes and rules of engagement. This is an ideal
we must work towards, a huge undertaking that in some cases requires
change in the country's constitution.

> Lets get on with the job at hand.
Most definatley...

> [...]
> build Kenya by promoting those ideas that build us and not
> resigning ourselves to compromises. Ordinary Kenyans are watching
> to see how we, the enligtened, are thinking so that they can follow
> our example.
>
> Waudo
>

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:57:27 -0400, "Joseph Manthi"
> <jmanthi at gmail.com> said:
>> WO:
>>
>> "When we blindly adopt any religion, political system, or literary
>> dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow."
>>                                                         -- Anais Nin
>>
>> Ditto
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Odhiambo Washington
>> <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:55 AM, John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I think I have to support Manthi on this one. We cannot wish
>> away Political influence on such an important and strategic
>> appointment - infact it could be  suicidal to do so.
>> >
>> > I havent talked to Shem or the other un-succesfull contenders
>> (pretenders?) for the post but I am 100% sure that they must have
>> tried to get their political godfathers to say a good word for
>> them too. If they didn't have any political godfathers, then they
>> should have prudently declined to apply for the job (like me ;-)
>> >
>> > So guys, stop talking criteria only when things do not go your
>> way.  Instead lets congratulate the new DG because economist,
>> engineer, lawyer, informatician or whatever - he did go to school
>> and has the experience to deal with the office. Our role may be
>> more useful in demanding deliverables  from him rather splitting
>> hair on why he was appointed and we were left out.
>> >
>> > walu.
>>
>> Hi Walu,
>>
>> I agree in part with you, about the demand for deliverables from him,
>> but I still stand against the mode of appointment, where I'll stand
>> with the other side of this debate.
>> I sign out of this  thread with the following quote:
>>
>> "When we blindly adopt any religion, political system, or literary
>> dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow."
>>                                                         -- Anais Nin
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
>> Nairobi,KE
>> +254733744121/+254722743223
>> mailman/options/kictanet/jmanthi%40gmail.com
>>

>> --
>> Joseph Manthi
>> CEO
>> MEO Ltd
>> http://www.meoltd.com
> People make a plan work, a plan alone seldom makes people work
> (Confucius).
>

> --
> Joseph Manthi
> CEO
> MEO Ltd
> http://www.meoltd.com
> mailman/options/kictanet/emko%40internetresearch.com.gh

Eric M.K Osiakwan
ICT Integrator
Internet Research
www.internetresearch.com.gh