[kictanet] Agenda Bashing - Kenya ICT Stakeholders Forum

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:40:46 EAT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Brian Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would venture to suggest that since the NCS is such a key stakeholder
> they are the *last* to be considered for facilitating such a session.

Now we are talking my brother. In my opinion (I might be wrong), NCS has
been lacking the capacity to handle policy possibly because of this kind of
thinking...which we should probably change.

The Act that creates NCS states that their function is;
Part VII of the Act covers sections 84 to 103. Section 84 establishes the
National Communications Secretariat as a Ministerial department in the
Ministry in charge of communications. The function of the Secretariat is to
advise the government on communications policy which:

   - promotes the benefits of technological development to all users of
   communication facilities;
   - fosters national safety and security, economic prosperity and delivery
   of critical social services;
   - facilitates and contributes to full development of competition and
   efficiency on the provisions of services; and,
   - fosters full and efficient use of telecommunication resources including
   radio spectrum.

 I would dare to suggest that this is the first issue we need to change.
Give the NCS their rightful place to PROMOTE, FOSTER, FACILITATE the full
development of ICT. At the very least, they are not biases to any
enrtity...Industry, Consumer or activist. We put NCS in the periphery in the
last ICT policy project...maybe that was our undoing!!

At the very least, the Act demands..and we must abide. And they are not
biased. Anyone else ...especially...and individual....might be influenced,
biased or bought.

Again...my initial thoughts..I could be wrong.