[kictanet] Discipline & Ethics - Re: Legislation and Regulation fore-Commerce in Kenya

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 07:28:34 EAT 2008

Hi Manthi,

Now *that* is framed in language we can discuss....

It is true that we do no have a policy that guides the entry of
foreign *companies* and/or investors from the standpoint of protecting/
building Kenyan capacity.

Take the example of mobile sector, there is not one single operator
that is *controlled* locally - this is true for all 4 operators;
safaricom, celtel, econet and orange. Is this a good or a bad thing?
Hmmm - worth thinking about. Control comes through investment.

For the policy angle, look at what Egypt did with the first major mobile
  infrastructure rollouts. As part of they supply contract they
required that the vendor build a local handset manufacture plant on a
build-own-opreate-transfer (BOOT) model. Today these plants are 100%
egypt owned, creating employment and Egypt manufactures handets for
the local market and also exports to many other Arabic speaking
countries.

Food for thought...

Brian
Sent from my iPhone