[kictanet] Develop the LOCAL Outsourcing Market

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Thu Feb 14 10:42:24 EAT 2008

Dear Kwach,
Thanks for your thoughts.  Fortunately, we have been thinking along the
same lines.  There are a number of locally outsourced jobs that ICT board
need to develop.  We have the leads and already started working towards
realizing our objectives.  Digitalization of Government records starts
soon.  This too shall boost local outsourcing.

I am pretty sure that all the infrastructure projects will be complete by
next year.  Our challenge is to develop entrepreneurs.  We have
opportnumites especially in developing local content but this is not being
exploited.  It is ipmperative that we work towards developing especially
youth to take advantage of these opportnities.

Ndemo.

> Fellow Contributors,
>

> Firstly I am impressed by the contributions that have been made in this
> discussion forum and I must commend Marcel for kicking off this timely
> discussion in the first place. Kenya is a beautiful country with a
> determined and hard working people. If there is one thing we Kenyans ask
> is
> an equal opportunity and we shall excel. If you talk to any economist they
> will tell you that the future is in the service industry more so for a
> country like Kenya that is neither gifted in mineral riches nor expansive
> arable land (Kenya is primarily 70% desert however with the remaining 30%
> we
> are able to become one of the global leaders in floriculture and tea
> production).  The sad thing is that the world markets have changed and
> become increasingly competitive. Service industries worldwide more so in
> the
> IT Outsourcing space compete very aggressively for the market
> opportunities
> that present themselves. And those opportunities that have already been
> bagged are protected jealously.
>

> Unfortunately when it comes to the IT industry the trend that is emerging
> is
> not pretty. Blue chip companies, government departments and parastatals
> have
> for a while adopted a strategy that has not been conducive in nurturing
> this
> industry. The sad thing is where they seem to have a silent conspiracy in
> only seeking international players for the major IT projects. Talk of
> Chinese Government IT Loans/Grants complete with planeloads of Chinese
> Engineers and technicians who swarm in and out without passing on any
> skills
> leaving us with pretty much mis-directed/unused investment once the
> project
> is implemen

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.