[kictanet] Media

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Feb 13 19:47:02 EAT 2008

Dear David,
Thank you for supporting the baseline review of Media.  The purpose of the
study is to provide baseline data to improve on our media policy.  You
must admit that this is the first time in the history of this country that
the Government is consulting stakeholders on its intentions to improve the
sector.  We have involved Media Council from day one.  It is the MC that
would provide the sectretarial services.  It is the Media Council that
would recommend names to the task force.  It is the Media Council that we
are using as a bridge to improve the conditions of journalists in this
country.

We need an objective study that is done by independent minded Kenyans.  It
is not prudent however to have current employees of media houses to serve
in the task force.  Unfortunately, most members of the MC fall in that
category.  That leaves us with Media Academics,special interest groups,
retired media personalities to do the study.  There is nothing in our
sleeves against media and I think by now you should have known that we are
only interested in developing a vibrant Media in this country.

The study is important because we feel that there are multiple reasons why
Media behaved the way they did.  We cannot simply blame Tribalism.  We
have all gone to school and know very well know that Journalists were
taking bribes.  From many studies in media, we can speculate on reasons
why they were easily bribed as mainly poor pay.  Bribes cloud objectivity
and eventually what we see is nothing but incitement.  There are more
other factors that we need the task force to establish.

We have sent the TOR for the study to MC and I think it is upon them now
to consult the wider stakeholder before we move forward.  It is our
responsibility to ensure that we do not repeat the mistakes we have made
again.  From the policy perspective, the study is a must if we have to
address the problems in the Media.  We need to make informed decisions.

Bitange Ndemo.

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Having followed the debate on the media audit, I'm convinced there is
> consensus that it's important that we review how the media handled the
> elections, before, during and after. That is perfectly in order. What's
> alarming is the insistence that the government should do it, whereas there
> is an organisation, the Media Council, whose mandate includes checking how
> the media operates with a view to protect the%2

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.