[kictanet] Media

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.or.ke
Thu Feb 14 12:19:19 EAT 2008

Dr Ndemo,

Your last e-mail will perhaps require further clarification to better
understand where you're coming from and want to go. When something happens
in reality like what changed the world forever......the bombing of the
twin-towers in New York....is there anything wrong with airing it as it
happened? Why would one want to conceal reality/the truth? I'm yet to
clearly understand the real reason behind the ban on live broadcast!

On this issue of bribery, as the saying goes "it takes two to tango". In any
case of bribery, there are two sides to the coin. I do not condone
corruption or suggest that the media did not do what you report, I'm trying
to get us to think more broadly and adopt a "systems approach" to issues.

In an evaluation methodology called "outcome mapping", the term "boundary
partners" is used to define the "immediate partners" who interact with "the
subject/unit of analysis" under evaluation in order to better determine the
outcomes/effects of any action and to understand and document the
behavioural changes among these partners so as to be able to attribute the
change. In this suggested study, who are the "boundary partners" of the
media? Shouldn't they be part of the analysis?

I think a holistic assessment (multi-faceted approach) to the subject at
hand should be employed - targeting the media alone will not help if we want
to bring change. If your reason for evaluating is for policing or auditing
purposes, then note that evaluation has since moved to be for learning
purposes and for taking corrective action - in most cases it involves the
subject under evaluation and the boundary partners for joint learning and
actions.

In this regard, I trust that the evaluation will observe the four
internationally recognized evaluation standards:

1. 	Utility - who are the intended users? The evaluation should serve
the 	information needs of intended users, who should be defined from the
outset.
2. 	Feasibility - it should be realistic, prudent, diplomatic and
frugal.
3. 	Propriety - it should be conducted legally, ethically and with due
regard for the welfare of those involved in the evaluation, as well as
those affected by its results.
4.	Accuracy - it will reveal and convey technically adequate
information 	about the features that determine the worth or merit of the
subject 	being evaluated.

Lastly, the purpose would need to be clear is it? "on improving rather than
on proving, on understanding rather than on reporting, and on creating
knowledge for action/policy change rather than on taking credit/punishing."

Edith