[kictanet] Fw: Auditing the Media

Florence Etta feanywhere at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 19:42:26 EAT 2008

Hi all,
I have been following this very interesting debate.
Harry says in response to David that:- neither the Government nor the Media Council should do this audit.
David had suggested:- 'Our suggestion remains, let MCK do the audit, otherwise we'll be accused of creating institutions just to kill them'.

In my humble opinion there could be two or even more audits but at least one would NEED to be  commissioned but not necessarily done by the MCK. If it is commissioined by the MCK with government backing (and conducted as Harry suggests by independent and credible researchers/professionals) this presupposes that it (the audit) will recieve its (MCK) complete and unalloyed support so that the findings  and possibly recommendations, when they do come out, would hopefully get fair reception and possibly use.

It is possible also even for KICTANET on behalf of the ICT community to seek support to commission an audit as well. This one could be stilted towards handhelds so that the full extent of the implication and use of these tools could be attempted and future scenarios constructed for the preservation and maintenance of both individual and collective rights and public order using these tools.

Cheers,
FE

Florence Etta PhD
P.O. Box 14285,00800