[kictanet] Stakeholders?

Akich Kwach kwach at archway-productions.com
Tue Dec 16 15:00:42 EAT 2008

Good question Labore,

The bill is now becoming more confusing and even if enacted into law, it shall require a lot of awareness program as the public would not even know other contents of the bill which have now been over-shadowed by the media sub-sector. Of importance to most ICT setors is- "e-Commerce or Electronic Transaction Bill" which many stakeholders pleaded with Dr Bitange to table as a separate bill. I agree with you that government and stakeholders need to think beyond Nairobi where policies are concerned.

Back to your question; Who are the Stakeholders? It is now emerging the media sub-sector are more equal than others as the rest of the rest of the stakeholders will now have to wait much longer with a possibility of the bill going back to the Parliament. That is what the law states. If you ask on the streets today, the majority of Kenyans calls the bill "Bedia Bill" and NOT the "Communication Amend... Bill" which justify your concern; the MPs do not consult with the public on matters of national importance.

To conclude, I was dissapointed to see a minister admit on KTN that she wasn't conversant with the bill except  that the media was uncomfortable with the bill.

This country should learn to avoid unnecessary crisis.

Akich Kwach