[kictanet] Vitriol in cyberspace

Binaifer Nowrojee bnowrojee at osiea.org
Wed Dec 3 23:35:23 EAT 2008

As a lawyer, let me correct the statement below that says that nothing
that was said amounts to defamation.  Defamation of character can
include slander (spoken derogatory statements), libel (written
derogatory statements) or both. To constitute actionable defamation, the
statements must be false and expose a person to hatred, ridicule or
contempt. Defamation is particularly relevant if it impacts or harms
your occupation or your reputation in the industry.

Definitive statements, not based in fact, such as the ones below and
others that were flying around, could in my opinion rise to the level of
defamation:

"Brian is not a Kenyan. Why is he representing Kenya? He is malawian and
he sits on CCK board."

"Why is a Malawian representing Kenya at the IGF? Do we lack enough
Kenyans to sit on Kenyan boards and also represent Kenya abroad? This is
disgusting and the earlier the masqueraders like Brian Longwe and the
bunch of foreign attack dogs are told off the better."

The issue is not so much whether Brian should sue or not, but rather
points to the need among us for more rigorous, fact-based professional
standards of interaction.  If we want more Kenyan professionals to serve
on the CCK and elsewhere, I'm sure we would all want the highest
standards of ethics and performance to prevail.