[kictanet] John, All: Kenyan Representation Important...But How Abt Discussing Points in the Report?

John Maina j.maina at ymail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:31:02 EAT 2008

Janet

Check Answers in Blue. You are simply not making sense defending foreigners. When did a foreigner start heading and sitting on the board of FCC?

JM

On 12/3/08, Janet Feldman <kaippg at earthlink.net> wrote:
Dear John and All,

I know you in a different context (KCA), as a
person who has always been supportive of me, a foreigner (American) working with
Kenyans on humanitarian and development projects in Kenya.

I dont know you
Janet. I dont know where you knew me from but I dont know you and have
never met you so either you are confusing me with someone or I just
forgot

While your point about Kenyan representation is an
important one as a "principle", where is this discussion of Brian's supposed
lineage getting us?

Janet, this is
housekeeping. A foreigner cannot and should not and must not sit on
Kenyan state corporation Board. Thats not something which you as a
"foreigner" can understand. You are basically not well conversant with
facts here and so you entering the bedroom and telling the owner of the
house to change where the bed is facing is uncalled for intrusion

There are very important "issues" to be discussed in
the statement, issues and challenges that impact on millions of lives, and any
success we might achieve (as the human collective) in bridging digital divides
and putting truly sustainable development--one that "lifts all boats"--into
practice.

Do you think
that getting a foreigner to sit on CCK board is not important issue?
How will you bridge the digital divide while the foundation of the
other side of the digital divide is being ignored. Do you think the
bridge will stand the test of time?

If someone is doing a good job of representing "us"
(whoever we are or however we identify), being of service, or otherwise working
for a purpose near and dear to us--even if s/he is not one of us by birth or
nationality--what real difference does nationality make in this case, as a
"practical" consideration (again, I understand that the principle is important
in a "meta" way)?

Janet, you can
never be us because you are not us. this is KICTANET and we are talking
about Kenya ICT network. One time when a person, I think Robert Alai,
did post some things here about an American conference, he was told by
one of the attack dogs that what has something happening to women in
USA got to do with KICTANET. What has Janet Feldman who is not Kenyan
got to do with KICTANET. Are you an investor, a stakeholder or simply
an interested by-stander?

It is a good thing for that person to understand
that there are limits to how much they can speak for us, or our needs,
experiences, thoughts, et al. But this particular subject doesn't seem to be so
"nationally" related that a person from Malawi cannot do justice to what is
happening in Kenya re ICTs and all related issues.

There obviously need to be many channels of open
communication, many ways in which viewpoints from Kenyans can be included
centrally in whatever is important for Kenyans to address. Outreach for such
information-gathering and inclusion is vital, and forums like this
can provide that.

Appointing of Kenyans to policy-making positions
and in other venues where "Kenyan" input is crucial is both important and
necessary, especially in circumstances where non-representation would lead
not only to ineffectual policies and programs, but even worse, a return to a
form of colonialism (ie policies and programs constructed "for" Kenyans, but
"without" Kenyans represented as central decision-makers).

Again, that doesn't seem as relevant here,
though. The development-related issues are crucial to learn from and address,
however.  Do you have some thoughts about the contents of the report
itself?

It wil never seem relevant to you since you dont have any stake in ICT
in Kenya and so will never argue for the Kenyan case. Lets observe some
decorum and you , Janet Feldman, dont think that being offered sahani
is same as being told to take the whole Sufuria

Its conclusion is this:  "Key stakeholder
lesson: relevant content drives demand - Safaricom's m-pesa met a basic and
everyday need, this has driven the increased use of their mobile platform by
touching the lives & livelihoods of both urban & rural
citizens."

Yes, We know
that but whats its relation to Brian Longwes nationality. Why are you
mixing and gathering alot of things to confuse the points?

Can we discuss the lessons
and their implications, as well as the way(s) forward for ICTs linked to
improving lives and enhancing development of communities?

Thanks much and best wishes
to all, Janet