[kictanet] John, Joe, All: Foreign "Control/Ownership"-No! (I agree)/my ICTs-related links to Kenya

Janet Feldman kaippg at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 3 23:18:18 EAT 2008

John and All,

Obviously the wrong John Maina. I thought this conversation and behavior did seem out of character for him. I do know Joe Manthi, though (at least I hope this is the same Joe Manthi I know from KCA!), and what he has just posted makes a good point:  no "control" or foreign "ownership". That should be bedrock. But that's not an issue in this case, is it?

And it seems clear that we don't know for certain what nationality Brian is...though this surely has brought up a number of important and sensitive issues.

FYI, I run the international branch of a Kenyan HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit in rural western Kenya. I have, along with the Kenyan HQ, developed ICTs-related projects for our organization (www.kaippg.org), written ICTs-related grants (GenARDIS), and helped to create a 5-party e-learning consortium--sponsored by The Commonwealth of Learning--that addresses subjects ranging from health to education. That is called GRASSUP NOW.

In 2007, GRASSUP NOW (which stands for "Grassroots Socio-economic Underpinnings: Poverty reduction, Nutrition and food security, ODL/ICTs, Women", denoting the subjects we cover) was a finalist in the Stockholm Challenge.

For more on our work, see:
http://ictupdate.cta.int/en/Feature-Articles/Kenya-The-health-and-agriculture-community-radio-network
http://gkp.stockholmchallenge.se/node/33020

I have been part of a team that created an emergency response network (using the Internet and mobile phones) in Kenya to promote peaceful resolution of the post-election crisis . In the eforums I moderate, I have posted about ICTs-related opportunities in Kenya which my members have taken advantage of, one recently winning the top award:  a state-of-the-art multipurpose center for their youth and development activities, which will help hundreds of young people and their families, in addition to promoting education and peace via their radio station. This org is located in Nairobi.

There is more I could say but that is not necessary:  I am indeed a "stakeholder", and that is why I am here. I do NOT post about American conferences that have nothing to do with Kenya. I only post abt topics that have some connection to Kenya.

All of this, in a way, is completely beside the point. But, as I said above, it does bring up many issues that are relevant, including how we perceive others and behave towards others, let alone how we sometimes make assumptions and speak before knowing the facts. These issues are important to address, but not in an "attack-dog" way, whether it is "foreigners" or Kenyans doing the attacking.

Thanks and best wishes, Janet