[kictanet] Day 3 of 10:-IGF Discussions, Internet Interconnection Charges

David Otwoma otwomad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:58:09 EAT 2008

Alex,

One has to agree with your argument.

Remember when mobiles were costing above 200k shs a set. Then the
regulatory environment allowed more than one player and a plethora of
sets. We now have 3 shs a minute calls and sets not above 1000 shs.
When more players roll out the 11 pm to 6 am free calls will go to
free calls on weekends and public holidays.

As for ISP, when even GSM (Zain has a 2,995 shs unlimited service
while Safaricom has 300 MB bundle for 999 shs) have joined the earlier
players (dial as in Telecom, Popote etc. wireless as in butterfly,
iBurst etc. and the conventionals), the trend has been lower costs
with better quality as the consumer has many choices.

Sectors that support ICT like energy are the let downs as they are yet
to liberalize i.e. Kengen has no serious competitors and KPLC is still
a monopoly giving many Kenyans a raw deal. Those escalating energy
costs are reducing the impacts that would have been felt by growth in
ICT.

David