[kictanet] Day 3 of 10:-IGF Discussions, Internet Interconnection Charges

Gakuru, Alex alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:24:51 EAT 2008

Michuki,

This is not true of the market place dynamics. Also equating
"cheap/affordability with very poor QoS" invites monopoly. Earlier we
were told monopolies gave us expensive poor services and we had no
choice but to use their services thus calls to liberalise the sector
and ISP entered. Granted, this led to infamous oligopolies(mobiles)
but opened a few more consumer choices. Increased competition ensures
consumers keep their options open. I encourage you to read Mike
Jensen's contribution at last year's IGF.
<http://www.intgovforum.org/Rio_Meeting/IGF2-Access-13NOV07.txt>

Therefore, I strongly object to your statement and instead call for
ever increased competition (see: "his consumer group is working to
assure that the people of Kenya gain access to affordable, reliable
networked communications from competitive carriers."
<http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/igf_interviews_2007.xhtml>)

regards,

Alex