[kictanet] Training for Digital Villages Operators

Evans Ikua ikua at lpakenya.org
Wed Apr 30 10:04:42 EAT 2008

Patrick,
By default, ICDL here in our market is normally delivered in the MS
platform. Its good that you are referring to FOSS implementations of
the same in a country like Italy, where inspite of the fact they have
a large economy, they still do not see why they should buy software
that they do not need to. same goes for countries like Britain, France
and Germany who have pro-FOSS policies. Makes me wonder why us poor
countries are in the forefront of this yet we don not have money to
waste.

To answer Odhiambo, its important to note that with the earlier
example that I gave of Cybers migrating, they did not migrate because
they liked Linux and Open source, or because they hate MS, or because
Linux was easy, but because they simply could not afford the licenses.
It was out of necessity. The training that they had to undergo or the
installation charges were simply not comparable to the high license
costs.

Its also important to note that the capacity for training on FOSS
applications is there in the market. The LPA has enough members who
can support this. Some of us had actually applied to do the training
on OpenICDL but turns out that we had applied to the wrong people
because of the confusion that was there in the board.

Since the board also has ICT for development and bridging the
Technology divide as some of its objectives, its imperative that they
should first consider Open source before going for proprietary software.

what governments in SA, Europe and elsewhere have is an official
policy that says that they will only go for proprietary software if
they cannot find an open source alternative that can do the work at
hand. The board should spearhead this as they are closer to the powers
that be.

--
Evans Ikua
Chairman