[kictanet] Training for Digital Villages Operators

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 11:52:57 EAT 2008

To train in Microsoft or Open-Source? The question is more
complex than chosing one or the other. But consider the
following facts:

Fact #1: Microsoft is on 90% of Desktops Globally.
Fact #2: Opensource/Unix has gained strength on the Server
platforms (Backend Operations), my guestimate would be
60-75% market share of the Fortune 500.
Fact #3: Microsoft is the richest company on planet earth
(money can almost buy you anything, particularly influence)

>From a training need perspective. We definately need skills
on both Microsoft and Opensource(Linux/Unix) arena.
However, as a country we need to decide wether we want to
continue playing at a 'USERS/CONSUMERS' level or we want to
join the big league and become 'PRODUCERS' in the knowledge
economy.

Methinks Opensource provides more opportunity in terms of
the freedom to opening up, peeping into and modifying what
makes the software tick.  I think serious governments
particularly in Europe and Latin America are making
deliberate moves to grow this line of skills accross their
socio-economic and educational fabric. It wont and cannot
happen on its own - maybe it is what that Grand Agency on
ICT in Kenya can digest on.

walu.

ing st

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/jwalu%40yahoo.com