[kictanet] Day 6 of 10 - current challenges facing the eRegulator

Brian Longwe brian at isisweb.nl
Wed Oct 17 09:18:01 EAT 2007

John,

On Oct 17, 2007, at 7:57 AM, John Walubengo wrote:

> facing Regulators who wish to efectively deploy
> eCommunications to their customers. Assuming the relevant
> eContent has been developed and is available what factors
> could inhibit its deployment?

my feeling so far is that we have been somewhat constrained in this
discussion with the assumption (conscious or unconscious) that
regulatory eContent and e-Communication is framed within a web-based
paradigm.

What can you say to debunk that notion?

What can others say to bring in other "e" forms of media/distribution/
access?

What I can put in is:
- Comic Book - targetted towards helping semi-literate understand
what regulation is, why regulators are needed and who their regulator is
- E-Book - all regulations in e-book format (a simple converter will
do this from a word/PDF document). E-Books should also be
downloadable from the 'net
- E-Book readers; e.g. http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/
reader/ ; or any Windows or Palm PDA
- Radio programme - "know your regulator" - could be a series (4-6
weeks) that is repeated twice a year
- TV programme - "Communications Regulation in Kenya" for a
documentary type approach; "How to E" for a youth-oriented, more
lively approach
- interaction with local movie/soap producers so that CCK can be a
feature in their programming e.g. Inspekta Mwala and Jihoja
Mahakamani really helps people understand the police, law and justice
related issues

Regards,

Mblayo