[kictanet] Day 2 of 10: What are the Internet Opportunities for provisioning Regulatory Services?

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 22:52:17 EAT 2007

mmhh. Not much response on opportunities apart from Nancy
B. I would have imagined many of us would have something to
say about how the Regulator could serve is better using the
web.

My thinking follows:
1. Market Penetration:  The Regulator could open up an
e-forum where stakeholders could openly discuss industry
issues. The Regulator can then harvest alot of industry
thinking from those discussion-logs and use them
appropriately. They would therefore get to 'know' their
customers better in order to serve them better (ofcourse
some Regulators do feel they need NOT know their customers
and so may not consider this a bright idea ;-)

2. Market Development: Most ICT players and consumers are
concentrated in urban centers. It would be interesting to
see Regulators reaching new players and consumers in the
rural centers using the web. Routine services like license
applications, renewals and payments could be completed
without visiting  the capital cities where most Regulators
are domesticated.

3. Product Development: New Regulatory e-Services may arise
from the web. I am thinking that there could be ways new
regulatory functionalities such as monitoring ISP/ASP
webographics (e.g. their bandwidth provisioning and
utilization, the amount of spamming they generate or simply
mapping out the internet traffic patterns in the country)

So this thread like the others shall remain open for more
contributions as we head towards Day 3 of 10, where we
review the threats that may face Regulators adopting
internet technologies in their service provision.

walu.

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/bozaya%40gmail.com