[kictanet] [Fwd: Re: [Idlelo2] M$ Vendor Lockin In Kenyan Schools]

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 13:55:28 EAT 2007

>I think the issue here is unethical business practices from Microsoft.

>Why are they hiding behind the ignorance of government officers in developing >countries. I sent a mail asking Ministry of Education to provide what this 'free >computer technology' is but i have not seen a response.

Until and unless the ministry comes out open on the details to the contrary, then we consider this a "contract" where the ministry is using the "Official Secrets Act" to shield the transaction from the public?

The Freedom of Information Bill  obligates government to immediately release information that is of great public interest.

Dorcas Muthoni <dmuthoni at gmail.com> wrote: I think the issue here is unethical business practices from Microsoft.

  Why are they hiding behind the ignorance of government officers in developing countries. I sent a mail asking Ministry of Education to provide what this 'free computer technology' is but i have not seen a response.

  It's certainly possible that many OSS products will eliminate their proprietary competition, but that's the nature of competition. If OSS approaches pose a significant threat to proprietary development approaches, then proprietary vendors must either find ways to compete or join the OSS movement.

  It is extremely unethical to tweak the concept of free so as to create confusion while marketing.

 In OSS it is freedom.