[kictanet] Media Bill

Brian Longwe brian at isisweb.nl
Mon May 21 12:54:46 EAT 2007

To all,

I would like to take a little bit of your "airtime" and lay down a
slightly different perspective with regards to the Media Bill that is
under discussion. (Although my comments relate to any Bill that is
put before Parliament.)

First and foremost my personal position is that I welcome the move to
put a law in place that governs the 4th estate. On a recent radio
input I emphasized that any sector law has two sides to it:
1) It defines and protects a particular constituent group e.g.
Communications Industry (Communications Act '98), Childrens Bill etc...
2) It protects society and the Kenyan populace in general from harm
caused by the parties covered under the Act/Bill

Therefore taking these two elements into consideration I would
encourage that the media fraternity (and all other stakeholders) take
this opportunity to engage with the process and ensure that we put in
place a good if not excellent law/Act.

I will give a short story to illustrate my point:

In 1997, the Kenya Communications Bill was published - it aimed to
regulate, govern and facilitate the growth and development of the
communications sector. For those of you who recall, the first draft
was a nightmare and if that is what eventually became the law - we
would still be living in the dark ages of blind control.

There was a lot of activity surrounding this bill. I remember a
number of public forum discussions that sought to provide government
with opportunity to shed light on some of the less clearer parts of
the bill (i.e. most of it) but also to hear from the public and
stakeholders what their views and opinions were. The Institute of
Economic Affairs played a key role in a number of these fora.

Eventually it became abundantly clear that there was a lot of talk
but very little action. So a group of non-profits, Insitute of
Economic Affairs, Econews, FemNet and East African Internet
Association got together and went clause by clause through the draft
and came up with a very comprehensive set of submissions that
addressed what we felt were the key/crucial parts of the Bill.

As many of you know, in the commonwealth law system any bill of
parliament must go through a series of readings. This allows both
fellow parliamentarians as well as the public to provide input along
the process. Public input into the process is normally handled by a
select committee of parliamentarians who are responsible for
capturing and channeling the inputs into the process and where
necessary making amendements/changes to the draft.

In our case, we made an appointment to see the House committe - at
the time chaired by Hon. Shem Ochuodho - and the Chair of the EAIA at
the. Mr. Suchindranath Aiyer then presented the paper to the House
Committee. At the end of the presentation our group was
unceremoniously thrown out (paper, submissions and all). I guess that
was the governance style of the day (read - KANU).

Nevertheless we didn't give up and decided to use all means possible
to "squeeze" in our submissions. There were breakfast, lunches and
cocktails held for parliamentarians - none of which seemed to yield
much. Eventually it was too late - the Bill had gone for 2nd reading
- and passed without any changes - now only the Minister and
President could make any  changes. But we didn't give up.....

At the end of the day we were able to find a way of getting the draft
to the then Minister - Hon. Ntimama. He read through our comments,
understood all of them and passed them to the Attorney General to
incorporate. The Kenya Communications Act '98 - which has governed
our communications sector for the past 9 years consists of almost
every single point that we had in our draft. As an individual I will
always have respect and admiration for Ntimama - he was truly
concerned and focused on this role.

I have told this long story to make one strong point. As a country we
need good laws to ensure that not only our present - but our future
and that of our children can be brighter than our present. I would
strongly encourage the media and all other stakeholders to take hold
of the olive leaf extended by this government - and the goodwill that
is present at the Ministry - and ensure that we have a good if not a
great Media Act.

Regards,

Brian