[kictanet] Media Bill

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:43:42 EAT 2007

At the Media Bill Kenya School of Monetary meeting, I proposed that neither
government controls nor media is left alone to self-regulate itself. I asked
for a independent media watch institute headed by consumers - the *confused*
recipients of government propaganda and media self-interest/preservation
angles. Obviously this proposal was unpopular to either.

"In many a European country public broadcasting performance has come under
severe
criticism. The institution is said to have too much power with too little
responsibility and no
room for holding it to account. At the same time journalists are blamed for
being too cynical,
too scandal and hype focused and, in a competitive market, too much driven
by the question
'what sells'. Politicians complain that the media try to set the political
agenda, that policy
making is unduly influenced and, worse, that journalists tell half truths
and whole lies. It is as
if the institutions legally or professionally entrusted with symbolic power,
are losing the trust
of those with political power...."

'...The press serves as a watchdog for democracy, but a watchdog that barks
too often is
useless. An information channel that distorts the information fulfils no
function. In any
other sector where the product is so vital for society and the risk of a
loss of quality so
great, the government would have intervened. The principle of press freedom
makes
this impossible. Consequently this is a task for the press itself, given the
potential
danger and social harm of media that behave as a political actor without
showing
accountability..'

Death Duties: Kelly, Fortuyn, and the challenge to media governance"
http://www.yle.fi/ripe/Papers/Brants_Bardoel.pdf

You will find I have retreated to "hide" park on this one.

Alex