[kictanet] Day 7-9: The Impact of the Recommendations-CCK Internet Report

Brian Longwe brian at isisweb.nl
Thu May 10 16:18:32 EAT 2007

My peni mbili ;-)

On May 9, 2007, at 10:39 AM, John Walubengo wrote:

> In trying to improve on the arising Internet Statistics, the Report
> set out specific recommendations for the Regulator(CCK) some of
> which are summarised by Category below.
>
> 1.Network Infrastructure (CCK Action Points)
> *Build National Fiber Infrastructure
- what is the definition of 'national' is it linking at provincial,
district, division or municipal
- ideally the "National Fibre Infrastructure" should aim at all
municipalities interconnected - but have a phased rollout plan (maybe
spanning 3-4 years)
- break the project up into pieces and then tender it out - just like
is being done with the roads - then cross fingers and hope none of
the contractor are building fibre with potholes :-D LOL

> *Merge ISP & IGO Licenses(Create DCNO licenses)

I have never really felt that a license added value in any way - but
I can assure you that the current licensing models are definitely
subtracting value from people's business plans due to the v. high
fees that are being charged.

- this road is full of peril and danger - and if not navigated
carefully could end up leading to some very nasty and unexpected
results.

my suggestion: wipe the board clean - call all the stakeholders
together and discuss what kenya's comms sector will/should look like
in the next few years - then define only the *very* critical areas
that need licensing and structure those accordingly - while having
something more along the lines of general authorisation for other
categories

- if the internet was forced to wait for licensing structures we'd
still be sending each other email via morse-code ;-)

> *Make SLA (Service Level Agreements) mandatory for Operators

hahaha - very interesting that this shold be put into a licensing/
regulatory framework - I can picture a Safaricom SLA right now "we
guarantee 12.8% availability"

- but on a more serious note, this is a very serious matter -
consumers are being taken for a ride, don't know their rights, more
importantly they don't know/understand clearly what the service
provider/operators obligations are

> *Operate the National Internet eXchange Point (KIXP) on a PPP basis

- hmm - interesting point - I think that would be a good thing;
interestingly enough discussions are already ongoing as to how KIXP
can be "upgraded" to a version that is more "open source" - hehehe

> 2. Affordability (CCK Action Points)
> *Make Tariff Publishing Mandatory of (Internet) Operators

- publishing is easy - sticking to the published tariffs is much harder

> *Require Flat-rate or Volume Based Pricing for Dialup & Mobile
> Internet Services

- this is now beginning to border on stranglehold controls - how do
you "require" someone to only address product pricing in a particular
way?

> *Increase competition for Fixed Line and Mobile Services

- v. good - and this should also embrace the concept of Virtual
network operators
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- no, my keyboard is not stuck
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- am I making my point?
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********
- Number portability is a *********must*********

> 3. Dispersion (CCK Action Points)
> *Fund Annual 'Demand-Side' Internet Studies

good one

> *Develop National Information Infrastructure

broken record?

> *Review and implement Univesal Access Fund/Strategy

- hmmm - I thought there's supposed to be a PPP Committee that is
responsible for all Universal Access issues
- CCK are simply supposed to facilitate/host/support the Universal
Access Programme
- anyway - maybe I'm on the wrong foot

> Again, Operators, Consumers, Govt, Regulator, Academia and others
> Lets hear your views.  To what extend do you think the above action
> points will improve on the status of Infrastructure, Affordability
> and Dispersion?  More importantly, why do you think some of the
> Action Points will not fly (work)? And what specific changes would
> make them work?

Warmest regards to all,

Mblayo