[kictanet] Day 7-9: The Impact of the Recommendations-CCK Internet Report

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:45:47 EAT 2007

>1.Network Infrastructure (CCK Action Points)
>*Make SLA (Service Level Agreements) mandatory for Operators

Most welcome and we plan to direct consumers where to download free
bandwidth measuring tools to hold the ISPs accountable to contractual
service obligation. CCK should publishes GSM call drop rates ( i.e. the data
why subscribers sometimes cannot get through on their mobile phones).

Telcos should also guarantee always-on internet access. Data needed to
determine if or when high revenue voice calls are given priority and over
cheaper revenue blocked internet on the networks. Shillings 50 million call
tracking equipment purchased by CCK should help unless it is locked in a
store somewhere?

*Operate the National Internet eXchange Point (KIXP) on a PPP basis

Have two views here:-

First,if "operate" KIXP means "take over" that may not fly>> for example,
dissenting opinion websites access may repeated "technical glitches"....

Second, if to "support" then happy because e-government content should not
have to travel to remote servers first before coming back to requesting
Kenyan IP addresses computer>>slow, network security issues, and costly
international traffic>> (Kai has point in this regard) .

2. Affordability (CCK Action Points)
*Make Tariff Publishing Mandatory of (Internet) Operators
Great:- Uganda Lesson: "Easy guide to Internet Connectivity In Uganda has
helped people a big deal." http://www.iicd.org/files/Booklet%20Inet.pdf
<http://www.iicd.org/files/Booklet%20Inet.pdf>(copy attached)
The current BT Internet (UK) 512 kbps cost users £25 or shillings 3,375/=
per month.

*Require Flat-rate or Volume Based Pricing for Dialup & Mobile Internet
Services
Dial-up is daily cost very expensive ( F/L from Shs 4,300 ( US$ 60) to shs
10,000/= (US$ 144) for a 24 hours on connection>> existing infrastructure
capacity is under-utilized because of prohibitive cost.

*Increase competition for Fixed Line and Mobile Services
What is the third alternative to failed competion to benefit consumers? Next
month community wireless, non-profit telcos, schools get free CCK licenses.
Mobile IP phones could mean calls at 1 bob per minute (cyber cafe rates)
>>quite affordable in all rural areas currently paying between Shs 7 to 32
for voice>>Rural wealth remain at grassroots.

[Business Daily]
<snip>
Also to benefit from the new scheme by the  Communications  Commission of
Kenya (CCK) to waive the licence fee will be community-based
non-governmental organisations.

The move aims at increasing  access  to the Internet and other information
and communication technologies. Beginning June 1, schools which formerly had
to pay Sh200,000 a year for permission to mount satellite dishes on their
premises, will not have to."
<snip>
http://bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=872&Itemid=3526

3. Dispersion (CCK Action Points)
*Fund Annual 'Demand-Side' Internet Studies
Necessary to update on usage statistics>>inform investors on Kenya's
i-readiness.>> ask questions whenever users get fewer.

Expect some trouble convincing

*Review and implement Univesal Access Fund/Strategy

We have upto Friday 11th May on this conclusive phase. Lets think 'beyond'
the box and plse don't hold back your ideas, the more unconventional the
better ;-).