[kictanet] Global Fellowships Program to enhance participation in ICANN's meeting in Puerto Rico

alice alice at apc.org
Wed May 9 19:59:37 EAT 2007

*Fellowship Program to Enhance Global Participation in ICANN

**MARINA DEL REY, Calif.*: People from across the world will have more
opportunities to attend ICANN's 29th Public Meeting in San Juan, Puerto
Rico thanks to the trial global fellowships program
<http://www.icann.org/fellowships/> launched today.

"We want to foster increased participation from developing and least
developed nations at our public meetings ­ and this fellowship program
will do just that," said Paul Levins, ICANN's Executive Officer and Vice
President Corporate Affairs.

Priority will be given to current residents of developing and least
developed nations who are interested in participating in the ICANN
government advisory committee, the country code names supporting
organization, and the generic names supporting organization. The
fellowship will assist in covering airfare, hotel and a stipend.
Recipients will be expected to actively participate in and contribute to
ICANN processes. As always, registration for ICANN’s meetings is free
for anyone wanting to attend.

"The program will play a key role in meeting part of ICANN's operational
plan ­ which has been through extensive public discussions and
consultations ­ to create a program to encourage and find participation
by interested parties in developing countries," Levins said.

After the San Juan meeting, which takes place 25–30 June, ICANN will get
feedback on the program from participants and the public, and identify
areas where there might be improvements.

"As a global organization ICANN is working hard to reach out and work
with people from every part of the world, and especially individuals and
organizations from developing countries," Levins added. "Making sure we
have participation from people who normally couldn’t attend means
ICANN’s work in the administration of the Domain Name and Internet
Protocol addressing systems is more accountable and transparent."