[kictanet] Day 6 of 10 - Statistics on Dispersion- CCK Internet Report

John Walubengo jwalubengo at kcct.ac.ke
Mon May 7 11:16:46 EAT 2007

<<<a prayer for the missing KQ passengers, Mt Elgon & other Land-Clashes victims observed>>>

and now I Wish to thank all for the surge of contributions that are continuing to come through.  Plse keep them flowing as we move into today's theme -Statistics on Dispersion.

snip >>The Report found that even though ISPs were present in all the 8 Provinces, they were hardly present at the districts level * covering only 30% of the districts in Kenya.  In addition, of the three key stakeholders, Government, Educational and Commercial, the Commercial sector had the bulk of the existing Internet Connectivity (80%) while the Education Sector had the lowest (less than 2%).  Finally, of the estimated 2.8 Million Internet users in the country, 80% are in the capital city Nairobi, 9% in Mombasa and the rest (11%) are spread across the country.<<snip

Quite bleak statistics and my recent trip to my rural home (Bungoma) confirmed it.  Even the supposedly ubiqitous GPRS access failed to deliver and yet it works wonders in the urban setting.  The fixed line access was out of question - despite me having a laptop that could have hooked onto the (suprisingly?) available telephone line. Problem was that the phone was 'Hard-wired' to the headset -old models- that cannot allow flexibility to port onto a laptop.

The other wireless option (Wifi, Wimax or Butterfly et al) are yet to hit he region...so the question is what  initiatives can be done to improve on the above bleak statistics?

1-day discussion.

walu.