[Kictanet] Day 2 of 10: What are the existing Business Modelsfor Optical Fiber Provision?

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Wed Jan 24 18:55:43 EAT 2007

Much of my take is recorded in history @ http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/
eric/tag/eassy/

nb: ignore or replace EASSy where necessary and the principles are
same @ international, regional, national and even rural level.

Eric here

On 24 Jan 2007, at 18:18, John Walubengo wrote:

> Thanx Kai, for your views...as key National data operator
> in the country, your thoughts are quite appreciated.  We
> would like to hear also from ISPs, Academia and Consumers
> regarding the models for provisioning international optical
> fiber...Mucheru, Victor, Eric, Alex and others.  Plse do
> not sit on your ideas...
>
> walu.
>

> --- "Kai U. Wulff" <kai.wulff at kdn.co.ke> wrote:
>
>> I would say the models depend on the market and
>> regulation!
>>
>> There are good and bad examples for each model. For Kenya
>> I prefer the model
>> KDN has opted for: We guarantee with our weight that
>> sufficient market
>> demand is in existance, an international operator
>> (without interest in our
>> market) is therefore attracted to bring a cable to our
>> doorstep at his risk.
>> This way this operator has to keep prices down since he
>> wants to make is
>> least attractive for another system to come! The second
>> system then will be
>> required for redundancy and to keep price pressure and
>> ideally should come
>> 2-3 years after the first. The model for the second
>> system can now be
>> different and based on the users and usage of the first
>> system (because now
>> commercial banks are easier to convince). We herefore
>> support Teams and the
>> Flag initiative (and EASSY as a system going south).
>> As initiator for Flag to come, KDN will NOT levy any fee
>> for accessing the
>> system! This side of the system will be open access and
>> the only system that
>> has non-discriminatory (ugaguzi) access to all FLAG
>> landing points arount
>> the globe, so no extra onward capacity purchase must be
>> done!
>>
>> For domestic fiber in a deregulated market there is only
>> one model:
>> Commercial whereby the Government as a user (actually the
>> largest user in a
>> market) has influence over the cost/price model as a
>> consumer.
>>
>> You see, OFC cost money to deploy and over a certain
>> running period the O&M
>> is higher than the Capex! So no matter how it is
>> structured, the economy of
>> a country needs to pay for it one way or the other. This
>> payment is easy if
>> the system stimulates private businesses (including the
>> business of the
>> owner of the cable).
>>
>> Good example is India! Private operators have cabled
>> EVERY village and
>> BECAUSE of this, the cost for calls are the lowest in the
>> world!
>>
>> Rgds
>>
>> Kai

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"