[kictanet] adopt a school

Kai U. Wulff kai.wulff at kdn.co.ke
Thu Feb 8 13:20:25 EAT 2007

Vincent,

please note and handle.

Kai
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mr. Barnabas Sang
  To: kai.wulff at kdn.co.ke
  Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:01 AM
  Subject: Re: [kictanet] adopt a school

  Muthoni,

  Thanks for the highlights on FOSS/FLOSS, which the education sector have been following for the last three years.

  During the last one year, we have been evaluating and inquiring for proponents of FOSS/FLOSS to come forth with a concrete proposal that will ensure government get a solution that will provide the features and advantages you have highlighted (perhaps another call made here).

  By the way, for the 142 Schools to be equipped by March, all bidders are expected (mandatory feature) to have dual boot to both Open Source OS (Ubuntu or equivalent) and Windows OS. The challenge is that we are yet to see bidders with enough capacity to handle this kind of deployment in our schools.

  There is lots of potential on FOSS/FLOSS. Statistic in Europe and Asia indicate to us the direction education institutions are taking in order to ensure TCO and ROI on ICT in education investments are justified.

  I got a CD from your stand in the ongoing ICT for Development Expo which is quite informative (productwise). Missing though is the e-learning platforms like moodle, which could interest enterprises and institutions of higher learning.

  Otherwise, Thanks, will take note of your advice on issues you've touched.

  Kind regards

  Sang