[Kictanet] Re: Burning and Closure of Standard Media Group

Mike Theuri mike.theuri at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 23:26:39 EAT 2006

Without disagreeing with the opinions expressed, perhaps one should
seek to formally define what "irresponsible reporting" is. The article in
question had times, places, names and dates. The writers even sought
comment from the parties involved and published the story, they appear
to have done their research and have their facts together and also included
the denials from the parties or their representatives of those involved in the
said meeting having been diligent enough to seek comment from the
concerned parties.

Just merely denying an established fact does not make the person who
established the fact "irresponsible". To the best of my knowledge the
newspaper has not retracted the story and none of the aggrieved parties
(the state not being one of them) has filed libel suits in which case the
"accused" would have a chance to show how they established their
facts or face the consequences.

It may have gone unnoticed, but this is the second raid against a media
establishment the first having been against the Citizen last week. The
Citizen's articles were more inflamatory in my opinion and did not seek
comment or denials from the aggrieved parties.

In short let us not be keen to condemn the "accused" for irresponsibility
if they have not been given a chance to demonstrate how they 'established'
their facts. This is not to say that there are not irresponsible journalists
amongst the media fraternity. Infact there are some who will willingly
accept money to publish stories on behalf of certain parties or entities in
order to gain popular public opinion or swing it in disfavor of another.

The police claim that they received information on what appears to have
been a matter to take place in the future, why not simply arrest and charge
the individual who had received the funds ? As outlined below by Brian,
several questions remain unanswered, but hopefully at the end of the day
the AG will not seek to terminate or frustrate any cases related to the
matter until they reach their logical conclusion.