[Kictanet] Re: Burning and Closure of Standard Media Group

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Thu Mar 2 23:59:07 EAT 2006

Well....my take

Our history of independence can be traced and evaluated on the basis of the
struggles for freedom of the media and the treatment of media professionals.
If you all recall, the struggle for more democratic political environment,
also contributed to the growth of alternative press and an increase in
confidence in our mainstream media to publish more objectively. What is
extremely disturbing about this incident is the fact that there is still no
single law regulating media in Kenya. Only the Constitution, and a range of
Acts. Most of the acts were inherited from the colonial government, and
still provide for tight government control on information and mass media.

 As a result the media suffers an ever-present threat of being censored or
stifled should the political establishment or individuals within it feel
uncomfortable or threatened. What happened yesterday was the old state
repression rearing its head using public security and sedition as an excuse
to engage in crude activities, including arresting, detaining, harassing,
etc persons producing and disseminating information that was critical or
embarrassing to government.

Granted that the media MUST exercise their freedom with responsibility, but
there exits internationally accepted mechanisms for seeking redress through
the law, including our Kenya Telecommunication Act, which clearly spells out
the procedures to be followed under similar circumstances.

alice