[Kictanet] Re: Burning and Closure of Standard Media Group

Brian Longwe brian at pure-id.com
Thu Mar 2 15:46:17 EAT 2006

I'm afraid on this one I agree with Wainaina - if it weren't for the
irresponsible reporting there wouldn't have been opportunity (or
excuse) for this kind of "retaliation"

Having said that, though, I think that this is going to provide our
government (which is currently undergoing some very pleasing reforms)
an opportunity to really curtail and/or limit police actions.

The incident yesternight raises several fundamental questions:
1) did the police have a court order to enter premises?
2) had they requested (and been denied) access to the premises?
3) Did they have a court order to confiscate any equipment?
4) Did they have authority to use force?

I would be very interested to see an estimate from the Standard Media
Group in terms of business loss - considering the $$$$ they charge
for advertising, both on air and print.... would be even more
interesting to see who their lawyers decide to hold responsible and
send the bill to...

I hope they don't back down and actually mount a full frontal to get
to the bottom of this...

There are definitely some people somewhere who need to answer...

Brian