[kictanet] MPs open probe on data expiry, Safaricom Bonga points

James Mbugua jgmbugua at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 20:40:34 EAT 2022

Barack,

We can't argue from both sides of our mouths....one one hand say that data
should expire so that the infrastructure use is optimized, on the other
hand, punish those who are using the infrastructure, by throttling. Choose
one struggle.

Of course throttling is mostly illegal from a network management
perspective. In the US, the FCC made this clear via the Open Internet Order
of 2015.

Locally, it would seem KICA regs have yet to get throttling rules, but
nonetheless, the practice is manifestly illegal under the Consumer
Protection Act, 2012 for False Advertising and Misrepresentation.

You cannot purport to offer, and proceed to provide, someone with a 10Mbps
link, for a period of one month, and then later decide to degrade that to
1Mbps, for "traffic management" reasons. That is misrepresentation and
false advertising/fraud...and could be tantamount to unconscionable conduct.

@Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com>

The expiry of Bonga points more closely tracks that of airline miles, not
the tickets. Tickets on the face of them, typically have the dates you wish
to travel on them, and under fair contract rules, the airline is only
expected to keep that ticket valid for the price you paid for a certain
period. Hata, quotations we send usually have a valid period, because
prices may be subject to change (inflation, global upheavals etc).

However, the earned airline miles, continue to exist even after you have
used the ticket. Same with Bonga Points which persist after you have used
the airtime you bought to earn them.

I also note this para in the BD story: "The value of outstanding or
unredeemed points has been going up over the years—hitting Sh4.5 billion in
March 2022 from Sh3 billion in 2015— despite the company expanding the
options for redemption to include the purchase of shares at the Nairobi
Securities Exchange (NSE), airtime, phones and even flight tickets."

Just the fact that you cannot convert them to shares at the NSE, presumably
making them legal consideration, and those shares can subsequently be
surrendered to UFAA if unclaimed, tells me, that Bonga points should be
considered unclaimed assets and given the same treatment. And surrendered
to UFAA.

Regards.

JG

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 12:46 PM Barrack Otieno via KICTANet <